Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Default PAGEREF \p Switch in DE, SV, SK, and PL

Our translation vendor is reporting "errors" with our PAGEREF fields that use
the \p switch to create the result "above," "below," or "on page" according
to where the target is in relation to the x-ref containing the field.

When writing in Word 2003 in DE, does this field (particularly the "on page"
option) evaluate and update correctly? (According to our vendor, correct is
"auf Seite" where Word delivers just "Seite.")

We also see similar problems in SV, SK, and PL.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation? Do authorw in these
languages see any "errors" when using this field?

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming that the text containing the PAGEREF field has the correct language
formatting, the field should display correctly. This applies to "above" and
"below."

As far as I know, there is no way to insert the word "page" automatically
with a cross-reference (if that's what you are asking); you will have to
type it in.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bear" (nospam) wrote in message
Our translation vendor is reporting "errors" with our PAGEREF fields that
use
the \p switch to create the result "above," "below," or "on page"
according
to where the target is in relation to the x-ref containing the field.

When writing in Word 2003 in DE, does this field (particularly the "on
page"
option) evaluate and update correctly? (According to our vendor, correct
is
"auf Seite" where Word delivers just "Seite.")

We also see similar problems in SV, SK, and PL.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation? Do authorw in these
languages see any "errors" when using this field?

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Stefan:

No, actually you can. In Word 2000 terms:

1. Click Insert Cross-reference.
2. Select the reference type (say, Figure).
3. Select the item (figure) whose page you want to x-ref.
4. From the Insert Reference To list, select Page Number.
5. Check the Include Above/Below check box.

The result is: { PAGEREF _Ref999999999 \p }

When the figure is on the same page as the x-ref, the field result is
"above" or "below." When the figure is on a different page, the field result
is "on page 99."

Please try it and see if the languages you are familiar with translate
correctly.

Bear

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I wrote, I am aware that you can have Word insert "above" or "below" in
the language applied to the cross-reference. I haven't seen any problems
with this feature.

But you were referring to "auf Seite" which I'm assuming means "on page"? I
don't see a way to have Word insert that.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bear" (nospam) wrote in message
Stefan:

No, actually you can. In Word 2000 terms:

1. Click Insert Cross-reference.
2. Select the reference type (say, Figure).
3. Select the item (figure) whose page you want to x-ref.
4. From the Insert Reference To list, select Page Number.
5. Check the Include Above/Below check box.

The result is: { PAGEREF _Ref999999999 \p }

When the figure is on the same page as the x-ref, the field result is
"above" or "below." When the figure is on a different page, the field
result
is "on page 99."

Please try it and see if the languages you are familiar with translate
correctly.

Bear

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
As I wrote, I am aware that you can have Word insert "above" or "below" in
the language applied to the cross-reference. I haven't seen any problems
with this feature.

But you were referring to "auf Seite" which I'm assuming means "on page"?
don't see a way to have Word insert that.

That is, Word inserts only the actual page number, and you will have to
insert text such as "page" or "on page."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bear" (nospam) wrote in message
Stefan:

No, actually you can. In Word 2000 terms:

1. Click Insert Cross-reference.
2. Select the reference type (say, Figure).
3. Select the item (figure) whose page you want to x-ref.
4. From the Insert Reference To list, select Page Number.
5. Check the Include Above/Below check box.

The result is: { PAGEREF _Ref999999999 \p }

When the figure is on the same page as the x-ref, the field result is
"above" or "below." When the figure is on a different page, the field
result
is "on page 99."

Please try it and see if the languages you are familiar with translate
correctly.

Bear

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Stefan:

Please just try it. The PAGEREF field with \p switch can have three results:
above, below, or on page 99. Honest.

It works fine in English. In Spanish it evaluates to:

See Figure 1 más adelante.
See Figure 1 más atrás.
See Figure 1 en la página 6.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Under which circumstances does the field evaluate to "on page X"? Logically,
the referenced item is located either above or below the reference.

Note that I no longer have access to Word 2000; I'm guessing this behavior
could be specific to that version.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bear" (nospam) wrote in message
Stefan:

Please just try it. The PAGEREF field with \p switch can have three
results:
above, below, or on page 99. Honest.

It works fine in English. In Spanish it evaluates to:

See Figure 1 más adelante.
See Figure 1 más atrás.
See Figure 1 en la página 6.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

How to localize PAGEREF using "on page" switch Bear[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 5 July 13th 09 09:31 PM
PageRef fields Pepper New Users 1 December 18th 08 07:22 PM
PAGEREF in an IF statement in a header or footer when printing Giles Microsoft Word Help 3 September 28th 06 11:36 AM
TOC based on PageRef Joan NYC Page Layout 4 August 8th 05 12:12 AM
Why do my pageref fields get all messed up? TrueBlue Microsoft Word Help 1 November 26th 04 09:56 AM