Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
surfhawk surfhawk is offline

Default Spanish spell checker

I am using the English version of Word 2003 and have typed an article in
Spanish.
I have enabled support for the Spanish language through the MS Office
Language settings.
I also have turned on Automatic Language detection.

When I try to spell check in Spanish, "English (US)" appears in the
"Dictionary Language:" window.
If I change that to "Spanish (Mexico)", or any other form of Spanish, the
checker automatically reverts to the former--English (US)--after the first
word is checked.

How can I get the language for spell checking to remain Spanish until I
switch it back to English?

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you select the entire document (Ctrl+A) and go to Tools | Language | Set
Language and select "Spanish (Mexico)" and apply it to the document? See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm

"surfhawk" wrote in message
I am using the English version of Word 2003 and have typed an article in
Spanish.
I have enabled support for the Spanish language through the MS Office
Language settings.
I also have turned on Automatic Language detection.

When I try to spell check in Spanish, "English (US)" appears in the
"Dictionary Language:" window.
If I change that to "Spanish (Mexico)", or any other form of Spanish, the
checker automatically reverts to the former--English (US)--after the first
word is checked.

How can I get the language for spell checking to remain Spanish until I
switch it back to English?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The proofing language is a formatting parameter for the particular text. You
must apply it to the text you wish to check in an alternative language. Turn
off the automatic language detection, which is at best hit and miss leading
to false language selection, and apply the language format to the text. You
may find it worth creating a Spanish character style that you can readily
apply to Spanish texts - and to add the language to Windows regional
settings so that you can switch input languages from the keyboard.