Anna Summers

Default Pasting Images from Website

I used to be able to copy an image of a canceled check from my bank's website
and paste it into Word 2000 and Wordpad. I copied an image containing text
and image, the text pasted, the image did not (used to all paste as one
item). This no longer works. Most of the copy/paste web to word/wordpad
continue to work, but some, such as this one, do not.

I was using an HP installed version of Windows that came with MS Works and
installed Word 2000 from Office 2000 Small Business. I reinstalled this same
operating system and the copy/paste no longer worked. I may have uninstalled
Works also.

Then I reinstalled my OS with a fresh copy of WinXP (no crapware from HP)
and the cut/paste from this particular bank website page to Word 2000, Word
2003, Wordpad still did not work any longer.

Also, when I copy an image from the web to the clipboard, Word 2003 wants to
go to the internet for the image instead of pasting it from the clipboard. I
hope it is pasting images and not links, but I don't know how to tell or how
to make it default to always paste the image itself (never links). I really
do not want Word 2003 going to the internet for things I that want to paste
that I have copied into the clipboard. Can I stop this behavior and make it
paste the image itself from the clipboard?

Thanks, --Anna

Anne Troy

I can't help much, Anna, but many images on the internet have hyperlinks
associated with them as well, and when you copy, you bring that with it. Try
the Paste Special options on the Edit menu to be sure.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Anna Summers" wrote in message
[...]

Anna Summers

Thanks Anne. I tried the Paste Special HTML, but it behaved the same.
This is a window with an image of the front of the check, the back of the
check, and some text. It does the same with Wordpad (and it used to work
with Wordpad and Wordpad does not access the internet at all). I believe
the problem is in the copying the item to the clipboard - it just isn't doing
it anymore for some reason. Some image filter missing, maybe or something?
From Windows. I don't think it looks like a Word problem, now that I think
about it all. --Anna

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Anna Summers

I am so confused. Word apparently pastes some things copied from the
internet to the clipboard without accessing the internet. Wordpad doesn't
have to access the internet to paste something - why does Word?

Is there NO way to make the data go to the clipboard and be copied from there?

I think it is actually a Windows problem at this point because what I'm
trying to copy (a popup from my bank with text and front image and back image
of check) used to copy fine to Wordpad and Word both. It's like the data is
never getting to the clipboard. Could it be some kind of data image filter
missing or something?

Anna

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

lostinspace

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As I pointed out in my reply to your previous question, images on Web
pages
*are* linked, so when you copy an image from the Web, you are copying the
link rather than the picture.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Some websmasters implement Java and other tricks to defeat "novice
users" from saving their images.

I'd suggest, with your internet browser open, RIGHT click on the image you
desire and save to a local folder. (or at least attempt).
If successful, than insert that local image in your Word doc.

Please note that just because you have the ability to save images locally
and for your own personal use?
That does not mean that you are not free from copyright compliance as
related to passing the image on to others.

Anna Summers

I'm just trying to save a canceled check image from my bank, in case I need
proof of payment later. It is not just an image. It is two images (front
and back) and a bit of text (check date, number, amount) at the top. Its in
a popup window that I get when I click on the check. I don't want to have
to save all these things individually somewhere, find them again, and cobble
them back together. I used to be able (last month) to highligh the contents
of the popup and copy it to the clipboard and then paste the contents into
Wordpad (as well as Word 2000). It seems that it is no longer being copied
the clipboard to be pasted anywhere. And even things that ARE copied to the
clipboard, Word 2003 wants to go BACK to the internet AGAIN when I click
"paste."

Also, if I deny Word 2003 permission to go to the internet when I get ready
to paste something, it takes FOREVER - and I mean minutes - to finally paste
it without going to the internet. Is there a setting to stop this "going
back to the internet AGAIN" behavior and get it to just paste what is IN THE
CLIPBOARD without all the delay?? Do I have to go back to Word 2000 and not
purchase 2003, to solve this?

Thanks,
AnnaSummers

lostinspace

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As I pointed out in my reply to your previous question, images on Web
pages
*are* linked, so when you copy an image from the Web, you are copying
the
link rather than the picture.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

I realize it's a PITA trying to locate things (you likely have trouble
finding your home again when visiting your neighbor or finding your auto in
the 7-11 parking lot).

However, both blaming Word for your limited choices and your lack of
understanding of the internet and your OS is a bit obnoxious. Further,
believing that every participant in Usenet is going to be able to read your
mind (and your computers activity within recent periods) is even more
obnoxious.

The simplest solution to saving the check images you desire is to use your
web browser and save the page and images locally (as I previously provided.)
From local folders you may accomplish anything you desire with out being
dependent upon HTTPS or other website limited restrictions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Private Citizen

Actually I have noticed that word will access the internet anytime anything
is pasted from IE. I have to wonder why does word need to access the internet
to paste text. If it is a is DRM issue then the operation should be done in
IE during the cut operation. If it is to access the underlying links then
why does it do it when no links are present. I don't want word to access the
internet during a paste operation from the clipboard. This is a problem issue
not a implementation choice. Can I turn this feature off?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

From local folders you may accomplish anything you desire with out being
dependent upon HTTPS or other website limited restrictions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Because a picture "copied" from the Web is not really an image, just a link
to the server location where that image is stored. If you want the image to
be available offline, you will need to unlink it (Ctrl+Shift+F9).

"Private Citizen" Private wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As I pointed out in my reply to your previous question, images on

Web
pages
*are* linked, so when you copy an image from the Web, you are

copying
the
link rather than the picture.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

From local folders you may accomplish anything you desire with out being
dependent upon HTTPS or other website limited restrictions.

images in a Word doc Jeff New Users 3 May 9th 05 01:55 PM
Coping and pasting images into locked forms slapana Microsoft Word Help 1 February 1st 05 08:51 PM
Large documents containing many images Javier Formatting Long Documents 0 January 12th 05 06:26 PM
Breaking multiple links to images in Word 97 macropod Microsoft Word Help 2 December 16th 04 10:12 PM
website images in word ycart Microsoft Word Help 1 November 28th 04 11:36 PM