Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JAG JAG is offline

Default Sharing Quick Parts

I created a document using quick parts, but when I go to distribute it to my
department, their systems don't have the quick parts in the documents
building blocks. How can I move the quick parts with document. I would
rather put it on a shared drive, but that doesn't work either.

I saw this in another thread:
"The easiest way is to add a renamed copy of the file to the user's Document
Building Blocks folder. (It is also possible to add the file to the Startup
folder, of course.) "

But, I don't understand the action. Rename what file? Put "the file" in
what start-up? Windows, Office, Word? And how?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would guess the file referred to (probably mentioned in an earlier post in
the thread you read) is Building Blocks.dotx.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jag" wrote in message
news
I created a document using quick parts, but when I go to distribute it to
my
department, their systems don't have the quick parts in the documents
building blocks. How can I move the quick parts with document. I would
rather put it on a shared drive, but that doesn't work either.

I saw this in another thread:
"The easiest way is to add a renamed copy of the file to the user's
Document
Building Blocks folder. (It is also possible to add the file to the
Startup
folder, of course.) "

But, I don't understand the action. Rename what file? Put "the file" in
what start-up? Windows, Office, Word? And how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank H[_2_] Frank H[_2_] is offline

As you can imagine, Word has a whole bunch of folders and files that it uses.

All the quick parts are stored in a file named "building blocks.dotx" (if I
remember correctly; don't have 2007 handy). This file exists in a specific
folder, which is usually part of the person's profile.
If you do a Search for building blocks (or variations of the name, in case I
don't remember correctly) on your PC, you should find the file, and be able
to see the path to where the file is stored.
It will probably be something like:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data
Administrator is the user name.
Every username on a PC has it's own set of folders: go take a look on yours.

Once you find building blocks.dotx (or whatever it is named), you (or they)
can copy that file to your collegues' corresponding folder.
--
Frank H
Rockford, IL

"Jag" wrote:

I created a document using quick parts, but when I go to distribute it to my
department, their systems don't have the quick parts in the documents
building blocks. How can I move the quick parts with document. I would
rather put it on a shared drive, but that doesn't work either.

I saw this in another thread:
"The easiest way is to add a renamed copy of the file to the user's Document
Building Blocks folder. (It is also possible to add the file to the Startup
folder, of course.) "

But, I don't understand the action. Rename what file? Put "the file" in
what start-up? Windows, Office, Word? And how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JAG JAG is offline

There is a document in:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Document Parts\1033

Called Building Blocks.dotx, but it is empty. I've tried various searches
on the C: drive, including hidden files. I've even tried building*.*. No
other hits.

"Jag" wrote:

I created a document using quick parts, but when I go to distribute it to my
department, their systems don't have the quick parts in the documents
building blocks. How can I move the quick parts with document. I would
rather put it on a shared drive, but that doesn't work either.

I saw this in another thread:
"The easiest way is to add a renamed copy of the file to the user's Document
Building Blocks folder. (It is also possible to add the file to the Startup
folder, of course.) "

But, I don't understand the action. Rename what file? Put "the file" in
what start-up? Windows, Office, Word? And how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

QuickParts are stored in templates. The default QuickParts template is the
Building Blocks.dotx template discussed elsewhere in the thread, but
QuickParts can be stored in any template including the document template and
the normal template. If you want to make custom Quickparts available to
users, copy them from wherever they are currently stored to the document
template and distribute the document template.

Jag wrote:
I created a document using quick parts, but when I go to distribute
it to my department, their systems don't have the quick parts in the
documents building blocks. How can I move the quick parts with
document. I would rather put it on a shared drive, but that doesn't
work either.

I saw this in another thread:
"The easiest way is to add a renamed copy of the file to the user's
Document Building Blocks folder. (It is also possible to add the file
to the Startup folder, of course.) "

But, I don't understand the action. Rename what file? Put "the
file" in what start-up? Windows, Office, Word? And how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Quick Parts (and other Building Blocks) are stored in the template but not
visible in normal circumstances. If you have opened (or created a document
from) your BuildingBlocks.dotx file, it will appear empty in the Word UI -
that does not mean it does not contain the Quick Parts. Try copying your
file to someone else's computer and see if they then have your Quick Parts.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

Quick Parts Paul Microsoft Word Help 1 July 7th 09 11:18 AM
quick parts-I think! Ray New Users 1 June 7th 09 03:06 PM
How To Backup Quick Parts Galen[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 1 February 12th 08 12:44 AM
Quick Parts Vicky Microsoft Word Help 3 November 9th 07 09:36 PM
Quick parts MADS New Users 1 July 24th 06 11:55 AM