Kat

Default troubleshooting hyperlink bookmarks

I was tasked to update the hyperlinks in a .doc, I was told they were
"behaving strangely". I began to check the links..and noticed that even
though the links were formatted correctly, when you clicked on them, you
would be linked to the last place in the Target document (where the bookmarks
are) that you placed an insertion point€¦and not to the bookmark referenced in
the hyperlink (example http://...........Quality ManualISO.doc#four_1_1) .

Since the links were correct, I thought the bookmarks might be corrupt, so I
went into the target document, removed all the bookmarks, and redid them. I
then attempted to €śfix€ť the hyperlinks again, same result. I tried removing
all the hyperlinks in the source document and re-doing them, same result. I
tried several different ways of placing the bookmarks, and placing the
hyperlinks (€śpaste as a hyperlink€ť), always with the same result€¦the last
place you clicked in the target document becomes the insertion point for all
hyperlinks in the source document. **major frustration!!!!**

THEN€¦ I decided to check some old documents with hyperlinked bookmarks just
to see if I was doing something wrong. ALL MY HYPERLINKED BOOKMARK DOCUMENTS
NOW ACT THIS WAY.

All documents were created in MSWord 2002(XP) and I am now using MS Word 2003

I sent the documents and all linked docs to an outside source (who is also
using MS Word 2003), to see if it was a problem on our system, and the links
behaved the same way on other systems using 2003. The outside source did
notice that if you clicked on a hyperlink, viewed what you wanted to link to,
then closed the target document, that the hyperlinks in the source doc
functioned correctly. Of course we can't expect our users to know they have
to close the target doc each time they view a hyperlink...and the "hyperlink
a bookmark" feature didn't used to function this way before MS 2003.

Anyone know what might be the problem here?

Note that there are two parts to a hyperlink: the display text and the
underlying HYPERLINK field. Sometimes a user will edit the hyperlink in the
document, but what is edited is only the display text, while the underlying
hyperlink remains the same. Press Alt+F9 to display the HYPERLINK field
code, or right-click and choose Edit Hyperlink to open the dialog. Also,
note that when you edit the HYPERLINK field code manually, you still have to
update the field (F9) before it will behave correctly.

"Kat" wrote in message
[...]

Kat

Yes..you can see the hyperlink field without using F9 by just hovering over
it...but it's neat to be able to see them all displayed like that. Thanks. I
used the right click-Edit hyperlink function to redo all the hyperlinks, so I
know my fields are correct.

I feel the issue is with the target document (where the bookmarks are) It
almost seems that the target doc is only capable of "remembering" one
bookmark. I find it most interesting that the bookmarks and hyperlinks work
correctly as long as you close the target document each time you use a
hyperlink.

"Kat" wrote in message
[...]

How to?: Hyperlinks with text derived from bookmarks that work in Brian Kramer Microsoft Word Help 3 August 15th 05 03:50 PM
Bookmarks appearing in HTML Format document links AndyBear Microsoft Word Help 3 June 1st 05 02:45 PM
Hyperlink Hijinks Larry Shoots Microsoft Word Help 2 February 28th 05 06:57 PM
hyperlink jr Microsoft Word Help 3 December 9th 04 10:55 PM
Using MAILMERGE fields within HYPERLINK fields for Merge to Email Mark V Mailmerge 2 December 4th 04 04:01 PM