Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fraudulent Fraudulent is offline

Default opentype advanced features in Word.

Opentype often has swashes, ligatures, (true) small caps etc...
I know windows can handle it, why not word?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Fraudulent

Fraudulent wrote:
Opentype often has swashes, ligatures, (true) small caps etc...
I know windows can handle it, why not word?

how can Windows handle SmallCaps?

Ligatures, you have to insert them directly. That's surely not the best
solution. OTOH, at least in my language, not every occurrence of, say,
"ft" should get the corresponding ligature.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jun 3, 4:04*pm, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
wrote:
Hi Fraudulent

Fraudulent wrote:
Opentype often has swashes, ligatures, (true) small caps etc...
I know windows can handle it, why not word?

how can Windows handle SmallCaps?

Ligatures, you have to insert them directly. That's surely not the best
solution. OTOH, at least in my language, not every occurrence of, say,
"ft" should get the corresponding ligature.

Both of these situations are handled well in FrameMaker. When "Pair
Kerning" is turned on, it automatically substitutes the fi, fl, ff
ligatures for the separate characters but still reads them as the
separate letters for hyphenating and spellchecking (unfortunately it
doesn't do it for ffi and ffl, which are only available in nonstandard
fonts).

For true small caps, you need to have a separate font with characters
with the proper lineweights to match the regular text type, but FM
calls it when the SmallCaps option is chosen in Character Format.

I even have an Adobe PostScript font (for Mac) of true German Fraktur
IWittenberger Fraktur), which comes with all the ligatures used there,
such as ch and sz, but plain American FrameMaker apparently doesn't
have the special coding it needs, so they have to be put in by hand.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi grammatim

grammatim wrote:
Both of these situations are handled well in FrameMaker. When "Pair
Kerning" is turned on, it automatically substitutes the fi, fl, ff
ligatures for the separate characters but still reads them as the
separate letters for hyphenating and spellchecking (unfortunately it
doesn't do it for ffi and ffl, which are only available in nonstandard
fonts).

yep, proper DTP apps should do that. And in an ideal world, "know" when
(language dependent) the ligature applies and when not.

For true small caps, you need to have a separate font with characters
with the proper lineweights to match the regular text type, but FM
calls it when the SmallCaps option is chosen in Character Format.

Agreed. And that's why I was asking the OP how Windows handles these (I
really have no idea, but I'd be surprised there was any support for this
on the OS level itself).

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jun 4, 5:26*pm, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
wrote:
Hi grammatim

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately I don't own any small caps fonts on my Windows machine,
but from what people have said about the difference between a Bold
font and a font that includes a Bold variation, I doubt that Word is
able to link a separate font to a character trait.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can attest that this is true. If the font is listed separately in Word's
font list, then you have to apply it manually. I do have such a set: Adobe
PostScript OldStyle 7 and OldStyle 7 and OldStyle SC, and you must apply the
latter manually to use its small caps.

"grammatim" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 5:26 pm, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
wrote:
Hi grammatim

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

grammatim wrote:
Unfortunately I don't own any small caps fonts on my Windows machine,
but from what people have said about the difference between a Bold
font and a font that includes a Bold variation, I doubt that Word is
able to link a separate font to a character trait.

that's a fact. I was referring to the OP's claim that "Windows can
handle it" ...

Greetinx
Robert
--