Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JWidman JWidman is offline

Default How to delete return address text in envelope template?

I'm trying to delete the return address text that shows up in gray in a text
box on my envelope template. When I select the text and hit delete or
backspace, the text reappears as soon as I click outside the text box. I
can't delete the text box at all. The text also prints, which is the problem,
since I'm printing on an envelope where the address is pre-printed. I am
using Word 2007, which I think is part of the issue as I don't recall ever
having this problem in the previous version of Word that I used. I also
haven't found an answer to the problem in online help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What is the source of the envelope template?

When you click Mailings - Envelopes, to create an envelope and leave Return
address: blank (then click Add to Document), the return address slot is
blank.

Even when you do provide a Return address, no text box or frame is used for
it in Word 2007.

So... in order to answer your question, it would be helpful to know the
source of the template, since what you're describing does not appear to be
normal Word 2007 behavior.

Having said that, what happens if you click on the return address text box
(or frame), and the press Backspace (which is sometimes a bit more powerful
a deleter than the Delete key)? Does the box get deleted?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"JWidman" wrote in message
I'm trying to delete the return address text that shows up in gray in a
text
box on my envelope template. When I select the text and hit delete or
backspace, the text reappears as soon as I click outside the text box. I
can't delete the text box at all. The text also prints, which is the
problem,
since I'm printing on an envelope where the address is pre-printed. I am
using Word 2007, which I think is part of the issue as I don't recall ever
having this problem in the previous version of Word that I used. I also
haven't found an answer to the problem in online help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JWidman JWidman is offline

The source is the Envelope Size 10 template, which is found under New
-Templates- Microsoft Online- Envelopes. I'm glad to know that the behavior
is an anomaly and will use the Mailing feature to create an envelope next
time. Thanks.

"JWidman" wrote in message
I'm trying to delete the return address text that shows up in gray in a
text
box on my envelope template. When I select the text and hit delete or
backspace, the text reappears as soon as I click outside the text box. I
can't delete the text box at all. The text also prints, which is the
problem,
since I'm printing on an envelope where the address is pre-printed. I am
using Word 2007, which I think is part of the issue as I don't recall ever
having this problem in the previous version of Word that I used. I also
haven't found an answer to the problem in online help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah. The Return Address in that one is stored in a Content Control. To delete
it, you have to be in Design Mode. Click the Developer tab (if it's not
displayed, click Office button, Word Options, Popular, and enable Show
Developer tab in the Ribbon).

In the Developer tab, click the Design Mode button. This will unlock the
content so you can change or delete it. Click to select the return address
control (you'll see 8 square handles around it), then tap the Delete key.
You can now save the modified template, if desired, as a .dotx file for
future use. Make sure you save it in your Templates location so it's
available when you want to use it.

--

"JWidman" wrote in message
I'm trying to delete the return address text that shows up in gray in a
text
box on my envelope template. When I select the text and hit delete or
backspace, the text reappears as soon as I click outside the text box.
can't delete the text box at all. The text also prints, which is the
problem,
since I'm printing on an envelope where the address is pre-printed. I
am
using Word 2007, which I think is part of the issue as I don't recall
ever
having this problem in the previous version of Word that I used. I also
haven't found an answer to the problem in online help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It's a bit difficult to say when you are using a template of indeterminate
source. You could see http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm and
you might download the envelope templates from my web site which don't have
that problem.