Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Please help me Please help me is offline

Default i need to locate a word file rec'd via an email attachment...

which i opened, modified and saved by clicking the save file icon, multiple
times over several hours. I failed to use the save as... function to specify
a location. Someone please help me find this document, it represents many
hours of work which cannot be duplicated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You should never open Word attachments directly from e-mail - however it
*may* be possible to recover your changes. See
http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm

Please help me wrote:
which i opened, modified and saved by clicking the save file icon,
multiple times over several hours. I failed to use the save as...
function to specify a location. Someone please help me find this
document, it represents many hours of work which cannot be duplicated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Please help me[_2_] Please help me[_2_] is offline

thanks...but, i'm using outlook express. followed your directions but, no
temp internet file folder. am looking now under temp folder instead but,
well...yikes!

Please help me wrote:
which i opened, modified and saved by clicking the save file icon,
multiple times over several hours. I failed to use the save as...
function to specify a location. Someone please help me find this
document, it represents many hours of work which cannot be duplicated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Please help me[_2_] Please help me[_2_] is offline

follow-up, under the temp folder, there are a umber of files... some many of
which have a .tmp ending. i've noticed that a few of these files were last
modified yesterday at 07:52, which is about the time i began modifying and
saving my lost file. When I attempt to move or open these .tmp files they
won't open because it is being used. the other .tmp files can be moved and
opened without a problem. I'm sure my file is sitting on this desktop
somewhere. I just can't locate it. Is there a standard file location these
things flock to???

Please help me wrote:
which i opened, modified and saved by clicking the save file icon,
multiple times over several hours. I failed to use the save as...
function to specify a location. Someone please help me find this
document, it represents many hours of work which cannot be duplicated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It will not have the tmp extension but doc (or docx for 2007). I don't use
Outlook Express for e-mail and do not know if it clears its temporary
folders, but if it doesn't then you *may* be able to locate it by re-opening
the attachment and use save as(but don't actually save it). Where does it
offer to save the file by default. If that is a temporary file location as
indicated in the addresss block of the save as dialog, then that would be
the location to search. There is no guarantee that you can recover a
document.

Incidentally had you been using Outlook 2007 for e-mail, it would not have
let you save in the temp folder - one of the nice things about that
application.