Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy

Default Crazy Keyboard Problem

I need help with a crazy keyboard problem I'm having. For some reason, when
I am typing (whether it be in Word, on Google, or anywhere else), if I press
any of the arrow keys multiple times or hold them down to move through a
document, or if I hit the delete key more than once, or if I hold down the
home, end, page up or page down keys, the letter "c" appears. I don't have
any hot keys or anything else turned on that I can see, so I have NO idea how
to turn this off. It is very frustrating, 'cause I can't navigate through a
document very well. Also, if I try and highlight text using my mouse, it
isn't working. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

That sounds like a classic "Coffee in the keyboard" problem :-)

Use a flat knife to remove the keys from your keyboard's cursor pad. If you
place the knife or screwdriver under the key and lever it up gently, it will
pop off its mount. Remove a few and have a look under them. Chances are
something has been spilled in there that is interfering with the operation
of the keys.

If you can't see any obvious grunge in there, it may be a broken wire
somewhere in the keyboard. Whatever it is, it's not worth chasing any
further: if it's not obvious what is causing it, go and buy a new keyboard.

Cheers

On 21/11/05 1:12 PM, in article
, "Amy"
wrote:

I need help with a crazy keyboard problem I'm having. For some reason, when
I am typing (whether it be in Word, on Google, or anywhere else), if I press
any of the arrow keys multiple times or hold them down to move through a
document, or if I hit the delete key more than once, or if I hold down the
home, end, page up or page down keys, the letter "c" appears. I don't have
any hot keys or anything else turned on that I can see, so I have NO idea how
to turn this off. It is very frustrating, 'cause I can't navigate through a
document very well. Also, if I try and highlight text using my mouse, it
isn't working. Any suggestions?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410