Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heni Heni is offline

Default Headers

I need some help with my headers. I have a document of 15 pages. I want to
add a header to page 3 (I don't want any headers on page 1 and 2). The page 3
header should run to page 5. I want a new header on page 6 that will run
through the remaining pages of my document. I use Word 2002.

How do I accomplish this? I have done some experimenting on my own, but
everything I have tried has been a disaster. I need help! Hope someone can
help! Please, when you tell me what to do, explain as simply as possible
since I'm a bit of a Word dummie.

Thanks! Heni
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You'll need section breaks. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

"Heni" wrote in message
I need some help with my headers. I have a document of 15 pages. I want to
add a header to page 3 (I don't want any headers on page 1 and 2). The

page 3
header should run to page 5. I want a new header on page 6 that will run
through the remaining pages of my document. I use Word 2002.

How do I accomplish this? I have done some experimenting on my own, but
everything I have tried has been a disaster. I need help! Hope someone can
help! Please, when you tell me what to do, explain as simply as possible
since I'm a bit of a Word dummie.

Thanks! Heni

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Insert a section break between pages 2 and 3, and another between
pages 5 and 6. Your document will now have three sections. With the
cursor in the headers of section 2, on the Header toolbar, click the
Same As Previous button to turn it off. Repeat that action in thee
header of section 3. Then each section can have a different header,
independent of the others.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 13:38:06 -0800, Heni
wrote:

I need some help with my headers. I have a document of 15 pages. I want to
add a header to page 3 (I don't want any headers on page 1 and 2). The page 3
header should run to page 5. I want a new header on page 6 that will run
through the remaining pages of my document. I use Word 2002.

How do I accomplish this? I have done some experimenting on my own, but
everything I have tried has been a disaster. I need help! Hope someone can
help! Please, when you tell me what to do, explain as simply as possible
since I'm a bit of a Word dummie.

Thanks! Heni

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heni Heni is offline

I tried creating a section, but it didn't turn out so good. This is what I did.

1. I placed my marker in front of my headline on page 3 (on top of the page).
2. From the menu, I chose Insert / Break / Odd page. What happens now is
that page 3 is blank because all my text has jumped down to the next page (4).
3. From the menu, I chose View / Header and Footer. In the header I typed my
name. Then I closed down the Header and Footer toolbar. What happens now is
that my blank page 3 has a header, BUT SO DOES PAGE 1!! Page 2 has no header.
This is true for all other pages in my document. I can move my text up to
page 3 again, but this doesn't change anything regarding the header
situation. I have tried this on several different documents, and the same
thing happens every time.

In short, why do I get a header on my first page?? And what do I have to do
not to get it?

I am very confused about this. Hope you can help!

Thanks, Heni

"Heni" wrote in message
I need some help with my headers. I have a document of 15 pages. I want to
add a header to page 3 (I don't want any headers on page 1 and 2). The

page 3
header should run to page 5. I want a new header on page 6 that will run
through the remaining pages of my document. I use Word 2002.

How do I accomplish this? I have done some experimenting on my own, but
everything I have tried has been a disaster. I need help! Hope someone can
help! Please, when you tell me what to do, explain as simply as possible
since I'm a bit of a Word dummie.

Thanks! Heni

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heni Heni is offline

Dear Jay,

I did as you instructed, and the same problem remains as I described in my
document remain without headers). I don't understand why I keep getting a
header on page 1 as well. I certainly don't want it there!

Heni

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:02:00 -0800, Heni
wrote:

Dear Jay,

I did as you instructed, and the same problem remains as I described in my
document remain without headers). I don't understand why I keep getting a
header on page 1 as well. I certainly don't want it there!

Heni

With the cursor in the header, look at the top right corner. Does it
say "Same as Previous"? If so, you haven't turned that off as
instructed.

Also, in the upper left corner, does it say "Odd Page Header" or just
"Header"?

If you switch to Normal view, can you see the section breaks? What
does it say in the middle of the break?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heni Heni is offline

Dear Jay,

1. I have turned off 'Same as previous', but my original problem remains.
2. In my upper left corner its says 'First header - Section 2'.
3. When I switch to Normal view, I can see my section break (between page 2
& 3. It says 'Section break (next page)' in Swedish because I'm using a
Swedish edition.

Heni

wrote:

Dear Jay,

I did as you instructed, and the same problem remains as I described in my
document remain without headers). I don't understand why I keep getting a
header on page 1 as well. I certainly don't want it there!

Heni

With the cursor in the header, look at the top right corner. Does it
say "Same as Previous"? If so, you haven't turned that off as
instructed.

Also, in the upper left corner, does it say "Odd Page Header" or just
"Header"?

If you switch to Normal view, can you see the section breaks? What
does it say in the middle of the break?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You must either unlink the related headers before inserting text or delete
any unwanted text from a given header after unlinking them.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" skrev:

You'll need section breaks. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Heni" wrote in message
I need some help with my headers. I have a document of 15 pages. I

want to
add a header to page 3 (I don't want any headers on page 1 and 2). The

page 3
header should run to page 5. I want a new header on page 6 that will

run
through the remaining pages of my document. I use Word 2002.

How do I accomplish this? I have done some experimenting on my own,

but
everything I have tried has been a disaster. I need help! Hope someone

can
help! Please, when you tell me what to do, explain as simply as

possible
since I'm a bit of a Word dummie.

Thanks! Heni

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heni Heni is offline

Suzanne,

Your advice helped!!!! I simply deleted the text in the header on page 1,
and that was all it took!! Can you tell I'm a computer dummie!?! LOL

I have now been able to make different headers for my pages (which I'm very
happy about), but a new problem has arisen. The numbers on the pages are all
screwed up. When I inserted my second break (between pages 5 and 6), the
numbering starts from 1 in the footer (instead of continuing from the last
page, so the numbering would be 6). I tried changing the number 1 in the
footer to number 6, and turned off 'Same as Previous'. What happend now is
that every page in my document is numbered 6. Any tips on what I can do to
solve the numbering situation?

Thank you very much!
Heni
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The fact that the upper left corner says 'First header - Section 2'
indicates that in the File Page Setup Layout dialog, the
'Different first page' option is checked.

- Open the header area in Section 2, and select and copy the text you
want to have on page 3 and the following pages.

- On the Header toolbar, click the Page Setup button (this goes to the
same dialog as File Page Setup, but it's quicker). Click the Layout
tab. Uncheck the 'Different first page' option. Click OK.

- In the header area, it should say 'Header - Section 2' without the
'First', and there may be no text in the header. Make sure the right
side does not say 'Same as Previous'. Paste in the text if necessary.

- On the Header toolbar, click the Show Previous button to go to the
Section 1 header and make sure it's empty.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

wrote:

Dear Jay,

I did as you instructed, and the same problem remains as I described in my
document remain without headers). I don't understand why I keep getting a
header on page 1 as well. I certainly don't want it there!

Heni

With the cursor in the header, look at the top right corner. Does it
say "Same as Previous"? If so, you haven't turned that off as
instructed.

Also, in the upper left corner, does it say "Odd Page Header" or just
"Header"?

If you switch to Normal view, can you see the section breaks? What
does it say in the middle of the break?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Click the Format Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar.
Set the numbering to "Continue from previous section." Click OK. Then
make sure that you do not type the number in, but that you use the
Insert Page Number button to add it.

For more, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Heni" wrote in message
[...]

numbered outline: convert numbers in headers to text in headers Adrian Lowdike Page Layout 5 October 1st 06 10:23 PM
Need templare with headers, sub-headers & Table content Bob Vancouver Page Layout 3 May 1st 06 02:25 PM
Headers desiree munsie Page Layout 1 February 20th 06 10:46 AM
Running Headers Separate from Page Headers mbaird Page Layout 1 October 5th 05 08:56 AM
Help - Headers - linking to previous headers not working properly Dab Page Layout 3 May 12th 05 10:50 PM