Stikfa

Default Endnotes not linked.

I have this document that has endnotes that are not linked. You can see the
first marker, 1, and you can scroll to the end to the start of the endnotes
and see where the text is for note 1. But somehow the links got lost.

Links have been lost for all 78 endnotes. Is it possible to get the links
reset without having to go through and re-insert all of the endnotes?

thx
Daiya Mitchell

What do you mean by not linked?

What happens if you use the View | Footnotes command?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Stikfa

When you insert an endnote, let us say the first one in the document. Word
will place a Subscripted '1' where your cursor is. It will then take you to
the end of the document and place another '1' and then you type your note.

When reading the document later and you come across an endnote, you should
be able to double click the '1' and it will take you to the corresponding
note at the end of your document. So they are linked\bookmarked.

My problem is that the 78 endnotes in my document are no longer working. I
have all of the numbers throughout the document as well as all of the notes
at the end of the document. But they are no longer working.

On 5/23/05 5:29 PM, "Stikfa" wrote:

I have this document that has endnotes that are not linked. You can see the
first marker, 1, and you can scroll to the end to the start of the endnotes
and see where the text is for note 1. But somehow the links got lost.

Links have been lost for all 78 endnotes. Is it possible to get the links
reset without having to go through and re-insert all of the endnotes?

thx

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Stikfa

I did not create the document. Created in word? I believe so, and I would
hope Insert\Footnote was used.

Using View\Footnotes....Fottnote is greyed out.

This is a document that we have used for years, and the last time I looked
at it, the endnotes were fine. However, someone else opened the document
yesterday to make some additions and noticed the endnotes were not working.

So, something happened to it. I just dont know what.

On 5/23/05 5:29 PM, "Stikfa" wrote:

I have this document that has endnotes that are not linked. You can see the
first marker, 1, and you can scroll to the end to the start of the endnotes
and see where the text is for note 1. But somehow the links got lost.

Links have been lost for all 78 endnotes. Is it possible to get the links
reset without having to go through and re-insert all of the endnotes?

thx

Daiya Mitchell

If View |Footnotes is grayed out, I believe that means Word does not
recognize the notes you have as notes (the fact that these are endnotes
doesn't matter). Other tests--can Edit | Go To find the notes? If you
enter a new one, will they renumber?

A number of people have posted similar problems, where Word is not
recognizing existing notes, most often caused because the doc was created in
Word Perfect and did not convert properly.

You can try the corrupt document techniques--it's possible if the doc was
created in Word that will work. If those don't work (try them ON A COPY), I
don't think anyone has found a solution to this problem other than manually
re-inserting and copying and pasting the text.

The first way to check for a corrupt document is to
copy the entire thing, *excluding* the last paragraph mark, into a new
document. That last paragraph mark holds a lot of information which can get
corrupted, and copying the text into a document with a fresh one keeps your
formatting, but can fix some glitches.

A paragraph mark is a gray ¶. Click on ¶ on the standard toolbar to show
nonprinting characters, including paragraph marks.

If that doesn't work, try these tips:

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

On 5/23/05 5:29 PM, "Stikfa" wrote:

I have this document that has endnotes that are not linked. You can see
the
first marker, 1, and you can scroll to the end to the start of the
endnotes
and see where the text is for note 1. But somehow the links got lost.

Links have been lost for all 78 endnotes. Is it possible to get the links
reset without having to go through and re-insert all of the endnotes?

thx

Stikfa

I appreciate all your attention on this matter for me. As we were going over
this, the person whom brought it to my attention went ahead and re-inserted
all of the endnotes. Maybe it was out of guilt thinking he caused the
problem..who knows.

Again, thank you.