Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

Default password a folder??

Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2003.

I thought I used to be able to password protect a folder, but I can only
seem to require a password on individual files. Am I missing a way to
require a password to open a folder??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You were never able to password protect folders from Word!
You can arrange permissions through the operating system

BK wrote:
Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2003.

I thought I used to be able to password protect a folder, but I can
only seem to require a password on individual files. Am I missing a
way to require a password to open a folder??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Naveen Naveen is offline

If you are using "Windows XP" OS

- Create a zipped file (right click on desktop and select it from new) and
move all your folder to it.

- Create a password for zipped file by rightclicking in zipped folder.

*** Please do rate ***

"BK" wrote:

Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2003.

I thought I used to be able to password protect a folder, but I can only
seem to require a password on individual files. Am I missing a way to
require a password to open a folder??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

Thanks, Graham. I must have been remembering incorrectly.

This issue involves a classroom setting where all students (on the network)
have permission to access the data drive. I thought I could have each
student's data folder password protected so that students couldn't open each
other's folders and "borrow" completed assignments.

You wouldn't have a quick and easy solution, would you? The only thing I
can think of now is to grant permissions student by student to only their
folder. Too bad there are lots of students and going through them one at a
time would be a lot of work.

BK wrote:
Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2003.

I thought I used to be able to password protect a folder, but I can
only seem to require a password on individual files. Am I missing a
way to require a password to open a folder??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You need to check with a Windows forum to see if there are any shortcuts,
but granting permissions is the way forwards.

BK wrote:
Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2003.

I thought I used to be able to password protect a folder, but I can
only seem to require a password on individual files. Am I missing a
way to require a password to open a folder??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

That definitely needs to be done using permissions at server level: check
with an appropriate server NG.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: This issue involves a classroom setting where all students (on the
network)
: have permission to access the data drive. I thought I could have each
: student's data folder password protected so that students couldn't open
each
: other's folders and "borrow" completed assignments.
:
: You wouldn't have a quick and easy solution, would you? The only thing I
: can think of now is to grant permissions student by student to only their
: folder. Too bad there are lots of students and going through them one at
: time would be a lot of work.
:
:
:
:
: "Graham Mayor" wrote in message
: ...
: You were never able to password protect folders from Word!
: You can arrange permissions through the operating system
:
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP