Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default How To: Get White Text on Black background

I want a 'highlight' line with reverse text. IOW: for this ONE line, the
text would be white and the background would be black.

How do I do that.

Since I have your attention, is there a "view" of a Word document that
really shows what is going on? I am playing around with text boxes and I
would like to be able to separate the location of boxes from the content and
perhaps do most of the editing in another context.

On this machine I am using Word 97 that I picked up long ago and
re-installed on my XP machine. One our Vista machiune we have M$ Office
2002 student version.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

John

Try using Page Layout View for editing and Print Preview for final check of
results.

You need to select the phrase to be inverted. Then use Format, Borders and
Shading and select the Background Tab. Set the background colour to Black
and OK to close the dialog. The text should not be white on a black
background. However, I suggest that you select the phrase again and use
Format, Font and choose WHITE as the font colour rather than Automatic as
frequently printer drivers screw up Automatic and print black text on the
black background!

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
I want a 'highlight' line with reverse text. IOW: for this ONE line, the
text would be white and the background would be black.

How do I do that.

Since I have your attention, is there a "view" of a Word document that
really shows what is going on? I am playing around with text boxes and I
would like to be able to separate the location of boxes from the content
and perhaps do most of the editing in another context.

On this machine I am using Word 97 that I picked up long ago and
re-installed on my XP machine. One our Vista machiune we have M$ Office
2002 student version.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

snip
I would like to be able to separate the location of boxes from the content

snip

This cannot be done. Everything in a Word doc is tied to the text as either
In Line or Anchored to a paragraph. Terry's suggestion to work in Print
Layout View is as close as it gets to being able to "see what's going on".

For what you want to do you really should consider using a Desktop
Publishing (page layout) program rather than a word processing application.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

For what you want to do you really should consider using a Desktop
Publishing (page layout) program rather than a word processing
application.

I'm sure you are correct.

BUT M$ Word 97 is the best I have and that's that.

Slight OT: Word seems to have been "billed" as "do everything."

I am an "old guy" but I think I would have not major problems with M$ Word
if I could easily determine WTF it is doing.

For example: 1) a "right click" on a text box would reveal both backward
and forward links; 2) etc.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi John -

On 9/22/07 6:01 PM, in article ,
"John Gilmer" wrote:

For what you want to do you really should consider using a Desktop
Publishing (page layout) program rather than a word processing
application.

I'm sure you are correct.

BUT M$ Word 97 is the best I have and that's that.

In your first post you indicated that you also have the Student/Teacher
edition of 2002(XP), which provides 3 installations. Unless they have all
been previously activated you could install it on the WinXP system - whether
it's "better" than 97 is open to discussion:-)

Slight OT: Word seems to have been "billed" as "do everything."

Well, sure... Have you ever seen *anything* advertised as being something
less than the best (other than the old "We try harder" ploy by Avis)? It's
just a matter of what you have to go through to get it done

I am an "old guy" but I think I would have not major problems with M$ Word
if I could easily determine WTF it is doing.

We're all in the same boat he-) Not that it can't usually be determined,
but it's the "easily" that eludes us - and this directly relates to the
point above.

For example: 1) a "right click" on a text box would reveal both backward
and forward links; 2) etc.

I'm not certain I follow you here and I haven't used 97 in years, so I don't
remember for sure. If 97 supports linked text boxes you should also find
that:

Right-clicking the first produces a menu with a "Next Text Box" command,

Right-clicking the last box has a "Previous Text Box" command. And

Right-clicking the one in the "middle" should contain *both* commands.

Just make sure you right-click the *boundary* of the box rather than within
the box - the contextual menu will have different content.

Good Luck |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Actually, Office XP for Students and Teachers allows installation on
only one computer at a time. The three-computer license was introduced
in Office 2003 Students and Teachers Edition.