Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ted M H Ted M H is offline

Default Distributing building blocks

I'm trying to follow the help instructions in topic Save and distribute
building blocks with a template, and I find that the instructions do not
work. I'm running Word 2007 under XP Pro. I'm trying to take a text box
building block that I created, send it to someone else (also running Word
2007 under XP Pro) so that they can then see and use the text box building
block from their Text Box gallery.
I'm able to create the template with the building block and I send it to the
target system. As long as the target system has the template with the
building block open, everthing's fine (the text box BB shows up in the text
box Gallery in the category I created on the source machine). But if the
target machine doesn't open the template first, the only text box gallery
items are the built-in ones.
Does the target system have to open the template, insert the object into a
document and then manually select the object and add it to the gallery?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

If the recipient of your template would store the template in his Word
startup folder, then Word will automatically load the template so that
the building block will be available for use. Your template would become
a Global Template in that instance.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm for
more about Global Templates

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Ted M H" wrote in message
:

[...]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12/7/2007 1:11 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ted M H Ted M H is offline

Thanks for the help Dawn. This is definitely a way to solve the problem.
Generally I find MS Office help to be, well, helpful. I was really annoyed
that the article they have on saving and distributing building blocks was so
far off the mark--it plain and simply has incorrect information, and is
poorly written to boot...

"Ted M H" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura Laura is offline

I'm having trouble following the instructions on this link because I am using
Word 2007 which is slightly different. All our sales reps utilize Word via
Terminal Server, thus they are all running on the same physical machine, just
different users. Can I create a global template with our standard company
Quick Parts and configure so that they all can access the global template?

: