Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A DeLew A DeLew is offline

Default Word 2003 Cursor display

My corporation has just upgraded us to MSOffice 2003. On my PC in Word the
cursor (I bar) is almost impossible to find. It is just a small dot, almost
like a period. What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc Luc is offline

A De Lew,
Try zooming to 500% and back and see if that helps.

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
My corporation has just upgraded us to MSOffice 2003. On my PC in Word
the cursor (I bar) is almost impossible to find. It is just a small dot,
almost like a period. What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A DeLew A DeLew is offline

I tried that and it did work, temporarily. However, when I close Word and
reopen the period cursor is back. Why does zooming work at all, but more
importantly, what can I do to correct the problem long term?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Since no one has been able to figure out what causes the problem or how to
replicate it, no permanent solution is available.

"A DeLew" wrote in message
I tried that and it did work, temporarily. However, when I close Word and
reopen the period cursor is back. Why does zooming work at all, but more
importantly, what can I do to correct the problem long term?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A DeLew A DeLew is offline

Thanks I think. I guess there is some comfort in having no hope!!!! It is a
mystery as to why some Word 2003 users have the problem and others do not.
I know lots of folks that have used 2003 for awhile now and have never seen
the problem. Oh, lucky me!
Sincerely thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll continue to zoom.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Same here too. I've used Word 2003 since pre-beta release and I have only
seen it happen once too. It obviously happens but so rarely that MS are
unable to simulate it in order to fix the problem (rather like the
Handwriting Recognition bug).

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have been using Word 2003 since it first came out and have experienced
this problem exactly once. It is indeed a mystery.

so
all may benefit.

"A DeLew" wrote in message
Thanks I think. I guess there is some comfort in having no hope!!!! It
is

mystery as to why some Word 2003 users have the problem and others do
not.
I know lots of folks that have used 2003 for awhile now and have never

seen
the problem. Oh, lucky me!
Sincerely thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll continue to zoom.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm thinking we need to sic Beth on it!

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
Same here too. I've used Word 2003 since pre-beta release and I have only
seen it happen once too. It obviously happens but so rarely that MS are
unable to simulate it in order to fix the problem (rather like the
Handwriting Recognition bug).

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have been using Word 2003 since it first came out and have experienced
this problem exactly once. It is indeed a mystery.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"A DeLew" wrote in message
Thanks I think. I guess there is some comfort in having no hope!!!! It
is

mystery as to why some Word 2003 users have the problem and others do
not.
I know lots of folks that have used 2003 for awhile now and have never

seen
the problem. Oh, lucky me!
Sincerely thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll continue to zoom.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A DeLew A DeLew is offline

I have also had Office 2003 for several years on my personal PC and on two
laptops. Never saw this dot cursor at all. Wonder if removing and
re-installing Office would resolve it, or doing a repair?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can resolve it permanently by adding the following lines to both an
autoopen and an autonew macro in normal.dot on the errant machine. The
second zoom setting is the setting you normally work at.

With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdPrintView
.Zoom.Percentage = 500
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
End With

Reinstalling rarely achieves anything useful and repairing is unlikely to
work because it isn't broken. It's a bug!