How to make one large letter per 81/2x11 page top to bottom?

Old April 14th 06, 08:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How to make one large letter per 81/2x11 page top to bottom?

I am tryping to make one large letter that is as big as an 8 1/2xll. I want
to use it as a stencil to create lettering on a very large sign. I can't get
the letter to begin at the top of the page. No matter what I do or my niece
does the top of the letter begins about 2 1/2 inches from the top of the
page. I tried putting the letter in a text box and the letter still starts
down to low to fit in the box. I am using about a 800-850 font size so these
are really big letters. I did this last year and made two signs. I can't get
started on the signs until I make the indiviudal letter templates.
I tried dragging the test box past the margins which are set at max size. I
didn't print that out. I wanted to wait to see what my niece said. She
couldn't help me either. HOw can I make the letters big and still fit on the
page one letter per page.
Spelling out the word information on an 8' long sign.
Old April 14th 06, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Use Word Art to create a letter. Place it on the page and set the layout to
'in front of text' You can then drag it to fill as much of the page as your
printer can handle.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old April 14th 06, 03:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Another option - Select the typed character, cut, then use Paste Special -
Picture(Enhanced Metafile).

FYI - you're running into the problem because the *text* characters are
designed to include line spacing proportional to the font size, which Word
doesn't have the capability of overriding effectively. You could use
FormatParagraph - Line Spacing set to Exactly and use a point size
*smaller* than the font size (i.e., if font size = 850, use Line Spacing =
800), but this is a guessing game.
--
HTH|:)
Bob Jones