document reverts to "final showing markup" instead of final

Old June 13th 08, 09:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ohio Cat

Default document reverts to "final showing markup" instead of final

Although saved in "final" in the review tab, the document when opened the
next time has reverted to "final showing markup". This is a minor
inconvenience, but I would like to fix it if possible.
Old June 13th 08, 11:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's by design. If you are wanting to get rid of the markup, you need to
accept the changes and delete the comments. If you just don't want to see
them, then there's a Security Options setting that's relevant, but I can't
tell you where to find it because you haven't mentioned what version you're
using.

Old June 13th 08, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg

The tracked changes are visible when you open the document because the
setting "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving" in Tools
Options Security tab is turned on (which it is by default).

You can turn off the setting. However, you risk distributing documents with
tracked changes without being aware of it. Therefore, it is safer to keep the
setting turned on.

From Word's online help:
"Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving": Displays all comments,
annotations, deletions, and other types of revisions. If you use the use the
Show menu on the Reviewing toolbar to hide some or all of your revisions, and
you select this option, your revisions will appear when you or another user
opens the file. This option does not affect text formatted as hidden.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

Old June 13th 08, 11:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Tracked Changes remain in the document until *all* have been Accepted or
Rejected & the feature turned off. If you're certain that there is no
confidential or otherwise embarrassing content you can go to Word Options
Trust Center, click the Trust Center Settings button & clear the check on
"Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving".

Keep in mind that the default setting is for displaying the markup & anyone
with access to the document will be able to display the tracked changes.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/13/08 4:57 PM, in article
, "Ohio Cat"

Old September 14th 08, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SusanLRConsultant

And that's why everyone hates Vista and the new Office -- Microsoft , telling
us what we *should* want, constantly defaulting, not letting us use whichever
interface we're more comfortable with, ttreating us like idiotic children. I
hate everything about V and O03, and I've been teaching, working with
Microsoft products since 1987, beta tested W95 & W98. I even wrote
Microsoft's own retail video training tapes for everything from 1993 through
1996, and I've never more felt like dumping it and going to Mac. So the p
lan is to dump Vista and Office 2007 (for which I spent HUNDREDS of dollars)
on my new computer and go back to XP and O03 - and when Microsoft stops
supporting XP and O03, I'll jump ship.
Susan Ryan

Old September 14th 08, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure how your comment is relevant to this particular discussion, but
it doesn't seem to be a question requiring an answer. What hasn't changed in
Word 2003 or Word 2007 is that markup is not removed just by changing the
view. The "Made hidden markup visible" setting just makes it more obvious so
that users don't embarrass themselves by inadvertently sending out documents
containing markup.

"SusanLRConsultant" wrote in
message ...

Old September 15th 08, 10:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hello Susan

SusanLRConsultant wrote:
And that's why everyone hates Vista and the new Office -- Microsoft , telling
us what we *should* want, constantly defaulting, not letting us use whichever
interface we're more comfortable with, ttreating us like idiotic children. I
hate everything about V and O03, and I've been teaching, working with
Microsoft products since 1987, beta tested W95 & W98. I even wrote
Microsoft's own retail video training tapes for everything from 1993 through
1996, and I've never more felt like dumping it and going to Mac. So the p
lan is to dump Vista and Office 2007 (for which I spent HUNDREDS of dollars)
on my new computer and go back to XP and O03 - and when Microsoft stops
supporting XP and O03, I'll jump ship.

I guess everybody that knew the old interface as well and started out
with the new had similar feelings. It really does hurt to abandon old
habbits, for all of us. Weighing these against the benefits that now a
lot of stuff is more "discoverable" to the casual user is still a close
thing IMHO. :-)

But case in point: overall, I think that showing tracked changes on
opening really, really is a good thing! There are too many cases where
people simply have not a clue about what TC is, how it works, and
whether there are such things in their documents. It's a pain, but I
prefer them springing into the user's face each time on upon compared to
sending him off such a document to a third-party which can be really,
really ugly.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Old August 7th 09, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard Turnbull

I know this is a long time after the last message.

There should be an easy way for a user to select whether they want the
tracking to show or not. The amount of waste paper I have from printing a
document and then having to print it again because the markup is always on is
really really horrible.

All of the proposed solutions DON'T work, unless you jump through more hoops
than problem causes itself.

I think users want the ability to choose between ease of use and protection
from embarrassment.

Old August 7th 09, 03:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Whether the markup _prints_ isn't a function of Final vs. Final with
Markup, but depends on the setting in the Print dialog. That's where
you choose whether to print the text with markup (or even just the
markup).

Old August 7th 09, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, if the document is in Final Showing Markup view, and you hit the
Print button (FilePrintDefault), it will print with markup (just as if you
had selected "Document with markup" in the Print dialog). If you first
switch to Final view, the markup does not print.

http://word.mvps.org