Default How 2 get & install printer driver for Appellate Brief

Greetings,

I'll be working on an Appellate Brief for an attorney. I understand
that the page layout may appear different on-screen, between his
computer and mine. I understand that if I install a printer driver
for HIS printer, that I can get my on-screen display to look the same
as it will print out. Even though I don't have the printer itself.

How do I go about this?

*(((({

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Fishy

*((({ wrote:
I'll be working on an Appellate Brief for an attorney. I understand
that the page layout may appear different on-screen, between his
computer and mine. I understand that if I install a printer driver
for HIS printer, that I can get my on-screen display to look the same
as it will print out. Even though I don't have the printer itself.

Install the printer driver as if you had the printer yourself. In
Windows XP, go to Start | Printers and Fax | Add Printer ...

For the most part, if you make sure that ...

1. you and your customer share the same relevant fonts,

2. you don't go too near to the border of a page (say, with drawing
objects, closer than half a cm maybe, or half an inch if you are
catious), and

3. Tools | Options | Compatibility: Use Printer Metrics to Lay Out
Document is _not_ checked

.... then you should be fine concerning stable layouts.

#2 should not disrupt your layout, but might result in some drawing not
printed in full (cropped at the page border). Just remember that, with
the usual office printer, you cannot print "borderless".

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Thank you for the excellent information.

How do I locate the attorney's printer driver file? Does it end in
*.drv? *.dll? We're doing this via telecommute, so I'll need to
havev him locate it and copy it over to me.

*(((({

In the last exciting episode on Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:04:07 +0100,
"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Fishy

*((({ wrote:
[...]

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

*((({ wrote:
How do I locate the attorney's printer driver file? Does it end in
*.drv? *.dll? We're doing this via telecommute, so I'll need to
havev him locate it and copy it over to me.

Sorry, I'm not very good with Windows interna. I wouldn't try it this
way at first, though: ask him exactly what kind of printer he uses, and
if you can look at his screen, check as what the printer driver
identifies itself (Start | Printer | ...).

Then see whether your OS might have this printer driver already.

In any case, if the two PC in question don't share the same OS, you
might not be able to install the same driver (or, IOW: a printer driver
for printer X and Win 2000 is not the very same as for Win XP).

Then, if the printer is not present on your installation (i.e., newer
than your own OS), check with the manufacturer's homepage to download it
from there.

HTH
Robert
--