Documents grows in size uncontrollably

Old November 25th 04, 09:54 PM
Elliott Roper

Default Documents grows in size uncontrollably

In article , E. Barry
Bruyea wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:28:13 +0100, "Jerry"
wrote:

I've been working on a large document (220 pages, 9 MB), mainly changing the
formatting, rearranging paragraphs and deleting comments. The document now
objectively contains less information, but is 60 MB in size. Why is this?

I'm on a Mac, where the "allow fast saves" preference/setting causes
that. It might be the same for you, since it is for ever recording
keystrokes and operations you have performed. Do a save-as. Open the
new one and check the settings. See what happens.

Do you have a lot of graphics? Even the 9meg seems high; I have a 450
page manuscript that is less than 1 meg and I have embedded fonts.

--
I thought I would be the last on earth to mung my e-mail address.
fsnospam$elliott$$
Old December 3rd 04, 05:41 PM
Jerry

Now I have it! (got that indicated in another group): it was embedded
graphics.
For some reason if you embed something, e.g. an Excel graph, as opposed to
just pasting it as a bitmap, and then resize it, it makes the file grow.

I had a number of Visio diagrams; when I converted them to ordinary
graphics, the problem was gone.

Thanks to everyone for your help.