Footnote reference mark in parenthesis

Old February 4th 05, 11:21 PM
Ian

Default Footnote reference mark in parenthesis

When I insert a footnote in Word 2003 (using Windows XP) the footnote
reference mark is a single number in superscript -- is it possible to make
this number show up within parenthesis? In other words the mark in the body
of the document will go from 3 to (3) and the same in the footnote section,
from 3 to (3)...Thanks!
Old February 5th 05, 01:31 AM

No automatic way, no. You can format it as not superscript (modify the
Footnote Reference style), but you will have to add the parens manually (or
with F&R or a macro).

Old February 5th 05, 01:42 AM
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:21:02 -0800, Ian
wrote:

When I insert a footnote in Word 2003 (using Windows XP) the footnote
reference mark is a single number in superscript -- is it possible to make
this number show up within parenthesis? In other words the mark in the body
of the document will go from 3 to (3) and the same in the footnote section,
from 3 to (3)...Thanks!

There's no way to do it automatically. If you insist, you can type
your own parentheses and format them as superscripts. Seems to me like
a lot of pointless work...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Old February 5th 05, 01:55 AM

This is a requirement in certain government/legal styles--a holdover from
typewriter days, when superscript was not as common or easy, so footnote
numbers were put in parens or brackets (as is often still done in Web pages,
emails, NG posts, etc.).

Old February 7th 05, 04:45 PM
Ian

Thanks for the information.

Yeah, I agree that it's a bit of a waste, but it is a style that's required
in the document I'm working on. Actually, I'm surprised Word will not allow
more customization of the footnote reference marks. I would imagine it's
quite easy to allow the same type of customization as we get when we
customize numbers in outline formats. Thankfully, there are not too many
footnotes in my document. Thanks again!!!

Ian

Old February 7th 05, 05:59 PM

While I agree that customization of footnote numbering formats should be
possible, it is also to be hoped that the requirement for these bizarre
formats will gradually decline as more PTBs (or PHBs) become aware of the
time wasted in producing them.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a requirement in certain government/legal styles--a holdover

from
typewriter days, when superscript was not as common or easy, so footnote
numbers were put in parens or brackets (as is often still done in Web

pages,
emails, NG posts, etc.).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Footnote problem ilyaz New Users 4 February 4th 05 06:51 PM
non printing mark Duke Carey Microsoft Word Help 4 February 2nd 05 12:56 AM
Footnotes - Keyboard Shortcut Formatting Long Documents 5 January 14th 05 05:39 PM
Mark Index Entry Cross Reference Trouble thelisha Page Layout 1 January 11th 05 09:18 PM
Table of Authorities, Mark vs Mark All? Delight Tables 1 November 10th 04 06:02 PM