Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill_OR Bill_OR is offline

Default printing multi-page double sided

I'm running Word 2007 and have a document with 1st page in portrait, 2nd page
landscape, 3rd & 4th page are portrait.
I want to print multi page format and double sided so that all 4 pages get
printed on a single sheet of paper. I'm using the manual duplex facility.

On the first pass page 1 is printed on the first sheet but page 2 is not.
Then pages 3 & 4 are printed on the 2nd sheet of paper. On the second pass
(after turning the paper over) page 2 is printed on the back of the sheet
that has page 1 on it.
Let me try to say that again! I end up with page 1 on front of 1st piece of
paper, page 2 on the back of that sheet and pages 3 & 4 printed correctly but
on 2nd sheet of paper.

Is it not possible to print a portrait page and a landscape page on the same
side of a sheet of paper in multipage mode?

If it makes it any simpler, I've just tried to print pages 1 and 2 as
multi-page (to eliminate the double sided aspect) and it prints on 2 sheets
instead of one.
Any thoughts/clues would be appreciated.
Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You cannot mix portrait/landscape on a single sheet on 99% of duplex
printers. This is a printer (driver) limitation and not a Word limitation.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Bill_OR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill_OR Bill_OR is offline

Thanks Terry - I had previously by Epson this afternoon that it's a Word
limitation!

Looks as if I need to find another way round the problem....

Thanks for your help.
Bill

"Bill_OR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Are you sure? Usually I think it's just a matter of making sure that Word
hasn't changed your Next Page section break to Odd Page.

http://word.mvps.org

"Bill_OR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It's never worked for me using various laser printers. My workaround has
been to separate the landscape page, insert a Section Break, Next Odd page
following the first page and print duplex. Then inserting the first page and
printing the landscape page on its reverse side. A pain in the butt. This
was using mostly HP LaserJets and Xerox Copy/printers. I've not tried it
with any inkjet printers though. HP confirmed that it wasn't possible to mix
orientation on a single sheet.

Bill is trying the print n-up and I think that is even more unlikely to
succeed. But my wondering mind has thought that maybe creating a PDF and
then using Acrobat Reader 9.1 printing options to print n-up may resolve the
problem.

Terry

"Bill_OR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill_OR Bill_OR is offline

Thanks to Terry & Suzanna for their helpful suggestions. It does look as if
it's a printer limitation but Terry's great suggestion about turning it into
a PDF works a treat! I use PDF995 as a free PDF generator and it has the
feature to set the number of pages per sheet - that does the job and allows
me to print the 4 pages on the same sheet of paper, 2 pages per side.
Brilliant lateral thinking Terry!
regards,
Bill