Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aschvetahata Aschvetahata is offline

Default Indexing a large document

We have a multi-volume reference work that we wish to index. This
multi-volume set will be more than 6,000 pages long. Could one of you help us
with the following questions:
1. Does Word 2003 or 2007 have a document length limitation? Our final
document will be between 6 and 7,000 pages long.
2. The final product will have a series of merged documents. Can Word
perform a post-merge index update?
3. Last and most importantly - should we even use Word's indexing feature on
such a large project or instead use a third-party program?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Aschvetahata

Aschvetahata wrote:
We have a multi-volume reference work that we wish to index. This
multi-volume set will be more than 6,000 pages long. Could one of you help us
with the following questions:
1. Does Word 2003 or 2007 have a document length limitation? Our final
document will be between 6 and 7,000 pages long.

it has, but in (text) length, not in pages:

Operating parameter limitations and specifications in Word
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489/en-us
(see the second Word limit and Note 2!)

2. The final product will have a series of merged documents. Can Word
perform a post-merge index update?

"Merge" usually rings a bell as in "mailmerge," but I doubt that's the
case here. Can you specify exactly

- how you are bringing together individual parts?
- whether the parts already have indexes?
- whether you want to join the individual indexes?

If the XE fields are in place, you can simply insert a new INDEX field
in the large document and let Word calculate the new index.

3. Last and most importantly - should we even use Word's indexing feature on
such a large project or instead use a third-party program?

Frankly, I don't know the 3rd party apps for this. The index itself
should not be the problem. Marking the words, well, that's a pretty
manual process (if you want a good index). Quoting somebody more
knowledgeable in the field:

How do I generate an index in Word? (by John McGhie)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm

In a 6000 page document, make sure your handling of long documents is
flawless (setup section formatting, and use styles, rigidly); and your
hardware is impressive!

HTH
Robert
--