Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elittle27

Default How to clear the browsed pages in MS Word 2000

I clicked the insert hyperlink button and found some things in browsed pages
that I do not want there. I have tried to clear the history of IE and that
didn't get rid of it all. How can I get rid of every browsed page that is
under the insert hyperlink button of MS Word 2000? Is there some folder that
all of this is stored under that I can goto and delete every page that was
visited? I thought it was a stack or queue that was used to keep track of
the history but evidently not because it just kept adding pages that I had
been to and it didn't get rid of the old ones. Please help me!

Sincerely,
Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elittle27

Do you happen to know which Registry Key it is? If I delete the Value will
it get rid of the currently saved browsed pages??

Thank you,
Frustrated

"elittle27" wrote in message
I clicked the insert hyperlink button and found some things in browsed

pages
that I do not want there. I have tried to clear the history of IE and

that
didn't get rid of it all. How can I get rid of every browsed page that is
under the insert hyperlink button of MS Word 2000? Is there some folder

that
all of this is stored under that I can goto and delete every page that was
visited? I thought it was a stack or queue that was used to keep track of
the history but evidently not because it just kept adding pages that I had
been to and it didn't get rid of the old ones. Please help me!

Sincerely,
Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was afraid you would ask that! As it happens, I had to look up something
similar for someone else yesterday, so perhaps I can find it without too
much searching.

The general principle is explained in "How to edit Windows registry to clear
the list of most recently used files in Office 2003" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826208. The only problem is that I can't
find a key that seems to relate specifically to hyperlinks. The most likely,
however, is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\Open
Find\Microsoft Word\Settings\Open\File Name MRU, which on my system has a
value pointing to my Temporary Internet Files folder.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There will be a Registry key that saves this; you'll need to delete the
Value (but it will continue to build up).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"elittle27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elittle27

What if I uninstalled Office and then reinstalled it, would that reset the
registry vlues back to the default values? If I uninstall Office will it
affect the word, powerpoint, etc.. documents that are on the computer or will
it leave them alone ( they just won't be able to be opened correct)? I guess
what I am asking is, if I reinstall Office, the documents that are left on
the machine won't have some copy of the old registry settings will they
because they are referenced to the register for the information about the
browsed pages.

Thank you,
Frustrated

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I was afraid you would ask that! As it happens, I had to look up something
similar for someone else yesterday, so perhaps I can find it without too
much searching.

The general principle is explained in "How to edit Windows registry to clear
the list of most recently used files in Office 2003" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826208. The only problem is that I can't
find a key that seems to relate specifically to hyperlinks. The most likely,
however, is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\Open
Find\Microsoft Word\Settings\Open\File Name MRU, which on my system has a
value pointing to my Temporary Internet Files folder.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elittle27

I found out that it doesn't reset the default values for Office by
reinstalling it. I did do like the aritcle suggested but that didn't clear
the browsed pages under the insert hyperlink button. When you clear the
temporary internet files folder it should clear all of them, right? What if
I uninstalled all of the office and then went into the registry and removed
all of the registry parts associated with office? I appreciate all of your
help in this matter.

Thank you,
Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

Before you start hacking the Registry ;-), to verify, you cleared your
Internet History but did you also delete all or your Temporary
Internet Files?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"elittle27" wrote in message
I found out that it doesn't reset the default values for Office by
reinstalling it. I did do like the aritcle suggested but that
didn't clear
the browsed pages under the insert hyperlink button. When you clear
the
temporary internet files folder it should clear all of them, right?
What if
I uninstalled all of the office and then went into the registry and
removed
all of the registry parts associated with office? I appreciate all
of your
help in this matter.

Thank you,
Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm surprised this doesn't work since the article specifically states:

"You can edit a single registry entry to clear the most recently used files
list that appears in most Microsoft Office 2003 programs. Many Office 2003
programs maintain a list of the most recently used (MRU) files and display
that list on the File menu of the program and in several other locations,
including the Open dialog box, the Save As dialog box, and the Insert
Hyperlink dialog box."

Unfortunately, it doesn't specify which specific key controls the Insert
Hyperlink dialog box.

"elittle27" wrote in message
I found out that it doesn't reset the default values for Office by
reinstalling it. I did do like the aritcle suggested but that didn't

clear
the browsed pages under the insert hyperlink button. When you clear the
temporary internet files folder it should clear all of them, right? What

if
I uninstalled all of the office and then went into the registry and

removed
all of the registry parts associated with office? I appreciate all of

your
help in this matter.

Thank you,
Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elittle27

I have removed all of the Temporary internet files and anything else that I
could through the tools--internet options button in IE, cleared my history
and all that jazz. But alas I am unable to get rid of the browsed history in
the insert hypertext button in Microsoft Word. Is there anyway to reset the
registry to the initial default settings?

Thank you,
Frustrated

"Beth Melton" wrote:

Before you start hacking the Registry ;-), to verify, you cleared your
Internet History but did you also delete all or your Temporary
Internet Files?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The browsed history you are referring to is stored in the registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs
Delete the content of that key. (Delete the key then put it back empty).

"Beth Melton" wrote:

Before you start hacking the Registry ;-), to verify, you cleared
your Internet History but did you also delete all or your Temporary
Internet Files?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elittle27

I just want to make sure that we are talking about the same browsed history,
the one I am referring to is the one in Microsoft Word/insert
hyperlink/borwsed pages. For example if I wanted to insert a hyperlink I
would click insert hyperlink button on the toolbar in Microsoft Word and I
would get this dialog box, there are buttons that say: Current Folder;
Browsed Pages; and Recent Files. WHen I click on Browsed Pages I am finding
some things in there that I don't want on my computer and I am trying to
clear this Browsed Pages. Is this the same one that you are talking about?

Thank you,
Erik Little

"Beth Melton" wrote:

Before you start hacking the Registry ;-), to verify, you cleared
your Internet History but did you also delete all or your Temporary
Internet Files?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Yes and no.
The Browsed pages window is an amalgamation of entries. Windows stores
recent files by application in a variety of places scattered across the
registry and the hard drive, which makes it very difficult to eliminate
them. The one I quoted provides the entries for the address box below the
window in the same dialog.
Your best bet is to search for one of the many privacy utilities that remove
this type of data from everywhere that it is
stored.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

Before you start hacking the Registry ;-), to verify, you cleared
your Internet History but did you also delete all or your Temporary
Internet Files?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elittle27

Could you give me an example of these utililties that you are talking about?
Or should I just goto download.com?

Thank you,
Erik Little