Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
llaupert llaupert is offline

Default How can I open an older word 97 document (.wps) in Word XP?

well I have a similar problem - i have a xlr file done in works -- and I am
running office 2007 and it will not open - I have looked for a convertor but
have not been successful -- any suggestions?

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Hmmm... I just tried installing it on my Office XP/Windows XP Home
system, and it installed fine. If you want to drop me an email to
garfield-n-odie at charter dot net, I'll email you the WORKS632.CNV
file. All you have to do to install it is put it in the C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv folder.

Darren wrote:

Converter 6.0 that you recomended. The message was just simply "installation
failed" I tried several times and also tried the Office Converter Pack. I
found this when searching for newer converters. Got that idea from you. In
total I tried 6 different ones. All downloaded ok and are still on my desktop
but all fail to install.

Thanks anyway,

Darren

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Which converter? When you say "failed to install", what was the error
message, or how do you know it failed?

Darren wrote:

Hi Garfield, thanks for that, but, the convertor failed to install. It does
say it will work with Word XP so I don't know what went wrong there?

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

.wps usually indicates a Microsoft Works word processor file, not a Word
file. The Office XP/Word 2002 CD includes a converter for Works 7.0 files
that you can install. You can download the Works 6.0 converter from
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318244. Converters for older versions of
Works are available from the Downloads page on Word MVP Graham Mayor's
website http://www.gmayor.com.

"Darren" wrote:

I have a very important document saved in an older cversion of word. The
extension is .wps Can anyone tell me how to get this file open to read and
print using word xp?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi LLaupert,

XLR spreadsheets from MS Works should open in MS Excel 2007 from Excel's
Office button=Open dialog. If you don't see in the You may want to check in the
Microsoft Office 2007 choice in Add/Remove Programs in the Windows control panel to see if you have the Works 7.0-9.0 Converter
installed from the Office Share Features=Text Converters although if I recall it's only the word processing converter that is added
by that option.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP