Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brad Brad is offline

Default How to use "Document Map"?

Hi! Is there a secret to "telling" my computer which things to include in
"Document Map"? I really just need three levels of headings. As it is now,
"Document Map" includes things I don't want to include, and does not include
things I want to include.

Thanks so much!

Brad
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The document map includes any paragraph with an "Outline level" specified
(in the Paragraph dialog box).

Note that if you make use of the built-in headings Heading 1, Heading 2, and
Heading 3, you will automatically get the appropriate outline levels. You
can modify the formatting of these heading styles to suit your needs. In the
Styles and Formatting pane (Styles pane in Word 2007), right-click the style
that you want to modify and choose Modify from the context menu. (For more
on styles in general, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html, but note that the
article was written for Word 2003 in particular.)

The problem with the document map is that it tries to guess which paragraphs
are headings, and applies outline levels more or less arbitrarily; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm. It is safer to make use
of Outline view. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingOLView.htm.

--
Stefan Blom