Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Espresso

Default How do I add Equation Editor to the quick access toolbar?

I've been searching all the Customize Quick Access Toolbar options and cannot
find Equation Editor. I really need this directly on the toolbar so I don't
have to go Insert - Object - Select from popup.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I think that the nearest that you can get is to add the Insert Object item
from the All Commands category. When you do that and click on that item,
Microsoft Equation 3.0 is in the list of items that appears.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Espresso" wrote in message
I've been searching all the Customize Quick Access Toolbar options and
cannot
find Equation Editor. I really need this directly on the toolbar so I
don't
have to go Insert - Object - Select from popup.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews

On 19-Jun-2006, Espresso wrote:

I've been searching all the Customize Quick Access Toolbar
options and cannot find Equation Editor. I really need this directly
on the toolbar so I don't have to go Insert - Object - Select from
popup.

(This question is about Office 2007, for anyone who doesn't recognize
the term "Quick Access Toolbar".)

Best way to do this is to first record a macro to open Equation
Editor. You'll need to make sure the Developer tab is visible in the
Ribbon. (It's not showing by default.) If it's not showing, click the
Microsoft Office Button, click Word Options, click Personalize, then
click "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon".

On the Developer tab, click Record Macro. Title the macro anything you
want, but make sure the option is set to "Store macro in: All
Documents (Normal.dotm)". Click OK. Now go through the steps to insert
an equation (click Insert tab, click Object, click Object again, click
Microsoft Equation 3.0, click OK, click "Stop recording" on the Status
Bar. ("Stop recording" is the square icon.) Exit Equation Editor and
try out your macro. (Click "Play" on the Status Bar, then select the
title of your macro from the list, and click Run.)

Assuming the macro works, get it onto the QAT by clicking the
downward-pointing triangle with a bar on top of it at the far right of
the QAT. Click "Customize Quick Access Toolbar". Click "Choose
commands from: Macros". Your macro should appear in the list on the
left-hand side. Click once on ie and click Add. Make sure at the top
right of the Word Options dialog, it says "Customize QAT: For all
documents (default)", and click OK. Equation Editor now appears on the
QAT. The default icon for a macro looks like an organizational chart.
If you want a different icon, before you close Word Options, click on
your macro on the right-side list, and click Modify. You've got 55
icons to choose from, and really the only appropriate one for an
equation is the calculator icon in the middle of the bottom row, but
choose whichever one you want. Clicking this icon on the QAT from now
on will open Equation Editor.

If you've set the option to "Prompt before saving Normal template", be
sure to answer affirmatively when closing Word and it tells you
changes have been made to the Normal template and asks you if you want
to save the changes.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews

On 19-Jun-2006, I wrote:

...Your macro should appear in the list on the left-hand side.
Click once on ie and click Add....

Oops. I'm sure you figured it out, but I meant "click once on it...".
Clicking once on IE wouldn't help a whit. ;-)

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Espresso

Thank you Bob and Doug for your suggestions. However, IMO this is sub-par.
There was no problem adding this icon to the toolbars in Word 2003. And,
while considering the many functions that are available for the Quick Access
Toolbar, why isn't this one? It is just an annoyance that MS has seemingly
overlooked.
Dan

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:13:01 -0700, Espresso
wrote:

I've been searching all the Customize Quick Access Toolbar options and cannot
find Equation Editor. I really need this directly on the toolbar so I don't
have to go Insert - Object - Select from popup.

In Word 2007, in addition to the older external Equation Editor, there
is an equation facility build into the program. On the Insert ribbon,
in the Symbols group at the far right, click Equations for a gallery
of pre-built equations, or just press Alt+= to start entering your own
equation.

There's a lot of stuff hidden in there. The Help for the beta isn't
finished yet, but there are some topics under the Write category that
will tell you about the equations feature. You can also learn a lot by
right-clicking various places to see what's in the context menus.

If you have documents from a previous version with equations from
Equation Editor 3.0, and if you don't expect ever to have to edit them
again in the older version, you can "upgrade" the document to Word
2007 format and change the equations to the new version; but there's
no backward compatibility. This is covered in the help topics.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Espresso

Jay,
That is better, thank you. Previously, I did check out the pre-formatted
equations that drop down from the Equation Toolbar icon but it did not show
me what I was looking for. However, the Alt+= brought-up the whole gammut of
equation tools. Thank you very much.
Dan

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews

On 19-Jun-2006, Espresso wrote:

Thank you Bob and Doug for your suggestions. However, IMO this
is sub-par. There was no problem adding this icon to the toolbars
Word 2003. And, while considering the many functions that are
available for the Quick Access Toolbar, why isn't this one? It is
just an annoyance that MS has seemingly overlooked.

Dan, while I certainly shart your sentiment that this is sub-par, Doug
and I merely answered the question you asked. The newsgroup is a valid
place to vent such frustrations, but you understand, of course, that
none of us can do anything about it. The only ones who can are in
Redmond. Although Office 2007 is technically still a beta, there's no
chance of Microsoft making any more changes to Office 2007 before its
commercial release unless such changes are truly bugs and not
enhancements. (IOW, picture a snowball in the nether reaches of
Gehenna.) Even so, Microsoft is in a position to do something about
it, so if it's something you feel strongly about, it's best to write
them about it.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

I should also point out, for mouse-oriented folks reading this, that
you can start an equation by just clicking the Equation button on the
Insert ribbon, or by clicking the down arrow to see the gallery and
then choosing the Insert New Equation command at the bottom.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Dan,

To add one bit to Bob's reply about writing directly to the MS Office product team, you can do that for Office 2007 Beta 2 using the
2007 feedback tool from the link below.

==========
"Espresso" wrote in message ...

Thank you Bob and Doug for your suggestions. However, IMO this is sub-par.
There was no problem adding this icon to the toolbars in Word 2003. And,
while considering the many functions that are available for the Quick Access
Toolbar, why isn't this one? It is just an annoyance that MS has seemingly
overlooked.
Dan
--
I hope this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS for the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie
the 2007 Microsoft Office system iinfo is at
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the 2007 OfficeOnline website without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033
b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net