Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Jenkins Dave Jenkins is offline

Default Word 2007 and Smart Quotes in comment balloons

Using Word 2007 on XP SP2. Smart Quotes work ok in the body of the document,
but in comment balloons, they are awry. That is, the opening quote will
often be aligned at the baseline of the text, and the close quote will be at
the normal height. Further, the open quote will be reversed (i.e., it's
really a close quote). If I switch to straight quotes, they appear at the
correct height above the baseline.

I notice that in the document body, the quote marks that are inserted both
have the "bump" at the top of the character. In the comments, however, the
"bumps" are at the top of the character (kind of like a comma) for the quote
mark that's at the baseline, and at the bottom of the character (like an
inverted comma) for what's supposed to be the closing quotes marks, and
they're flipped horizontally, also.

How the double quotes are inserted seems to be dependent on other
punctuation in the comment. For instance, if the comment is "... we've been
"running" ... " (ignore open and closing quote marks in the preceding) it
behaves as I've described it above. If I remove the apostrophe from "we've"
however, the open quote before "running" is treated differently.

As a shot in the dark, I've tried changing the font, but that made no
discernible change in Word behavior.

Is this problem reproducible on other systems, or is it something I've done
here? Are there quote settings I can tweak that apply only to comments?

Thanks for your help.

--
Dave Jenkins
K5KX
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I don't see this issue. How did you change the font? Did you use direct
formatting or did you modify the Comment Text style? Also, what font are you
using? Does it happen on all documents or just a few?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Dave Jenkins" .(spam-ugh!) wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Jenkins Dave Jenkins is offline

It exhibits this behavior when I use the default font, or when I modify it by
modifying the Balloon Text style. It ooccurs only when I'm using Smart
Quotes, I think.

When I start a new, blank document, the error doesn't occur, so I'm guessing
it's triggered by some setting withing the doc. The doc. is formatted as a
Word 2003 doc, BTW.

Dave Jenkins
K5KX

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Try deleting the Balloon Text style. It won't actually be deleted since it's
a built-in style - instead it will reset the style to the defaults.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Jenkins Dave Jenkins is offline

I deleted both the Comment Text and Balloon Text styles. I noticed that teh
text did revert to default fonts, etc. However, the insterted double quotes
are still showin squirrely. This is a Word 2003 document that I received to
work on - might that make any difference? Maybe I'll save it as Word 2007,
and then reopen it to see if that makes any difference ...
--
Dave Jenkins
K5KX

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

That's odd. Yes, I'd see if converting it to the new format resolves the
issue. Note that you can always save it back to the previous version if
necessary.

Let us know what you find!