Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dale Magnant Dale Magnant is offline

Default Problem with lower case umlauts.

Hello,

I am using Office 2003/SP2 with XP/SP2.

While using Word, I can use the Ctrl+Shift+:,letter method to generate
uppercase letters with an umlaut. However, I cannot use this method to
create lowercase letters with umlauts.

I've seen various instruction on what one should do to for lowercase
letters. Some say use Ctrl+:, letter. This persists in giving an uppercase
umlauted letter. I've tried this and seemingly every other conceivable
combination, and everything gives uppercase only.

Even if I go to Insert/Symbol and pick a lower case umlauted character from
the symbol chart and click insert, I still get an uppercase character.

Specifically I just want to be able to insert lowercase umlauted a,u, and o
without having to resort to the Alt + numeric code method.

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?

--
Thank You,
Dale
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Dale

My guess is that you have CAPS Lock on, or have Formatted the Font to
display as All Caps.

Be clear that the process is CTRL + : followed by letter - either upper or
lower case.

(Since : is SHIFT + ; this equates to CTRL + SHIFT + ; although I feel
that that muddies the water.)
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Dale Magnant" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The shortcut is Ctrl+: (which requires a Shift), then the letter. I suspect
that your problem is that you are not releasing the Shift key before
pressing the lowercase letter.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dale Magnant Dale Magnant is offline

Pat,

Thanks for your response - after reading it I went back and seemingly did
the same thing over again - and it worked! Good Grief!

In my previous go-around I had checked Caps Lock as you suggested, but it
was off.

I hope all is well down there in Australia. It's springtime down there I
suppose - being in Vermont, USA, I'm jealous.

Thanks again,
Dale

--
Dale

"Pat Garard" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Aw Jeeez Jezebel,

At least I don't have to worry about John's nose!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Good on yes Dale!

Yessy - Sprung is Sprang - if fact it's nearly Summer .

No Rain, brown lawns, cold beer 'n sassy Sheilas.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Pat Garard" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

And the christmas ritual of the poms getting humiliated at cricket.

"Pat Garard" wrote:

[...]

Change To Title Case Upon Mail Merge Problem Ryan Mailmerge 3 December 27th 05 03:38 PM
Word Field Formatting Victor Lazlo Mailmerge 2 July 28th 05 10:15 AM
How do I change from upper case to lower case in an already print. Puzzled Microsoft Word Help 3 June 27th 05 08:47 PM
CardText Field Switch JoyceA Mailmerge 2 June 18th 05 11:05 AM
Upper Case to Lower Case Suzi New Users 3 May 17th 05 05:09 PM