Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ReneeCamma ReneeCamma is offline

Default How to create a caption with 2 sub-captions

I am using MS Word 2003. I am attempting to create a caption that combines 2
figures. I've been able to accomplish this, but I haven't been able to
create sub-captions to accompany this caption. Is this not an option?

Thanks,
Renee
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Renee:

If you mean you want a two-level numbering scheme for your captions, AFAIK
this is impossible to implement via the GUI in any "automatic" way.

You'd need to manually edit the caption field code -- not horribly
difficult. Start by toggling the field to reveal the code rather than the
result (right-click and click Toggle Field Codes). Your caption will probably
look something like:

Figure { SEQ Figure \* ARABIC}. Your caption text.

As you can see, Word is using a SEQ field. Read about them in the Help. You
could add sublevels by manually inserting another SEQ field that just refers
to the previous SEQ field, using the \c switch, then adding your second level
number manually.

You'd have to create your cross-references manually as well. You wouldn't
have to type them in, but you'd have to create bookmarks that include your
second level number, then use the REF field to create the bookmark.

As an editor, I feel obligated to add that it's probably not necessary or
desirable to create sublevels of captions. You can identify the two figures
by lettering them and describing them in a single caption that covers both
figures.

Bear