Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Paul

Default Row Height Mysteries (Word 2003)

Hi,

I have been tasked with 'cleaning up' a document with several tables of
figures (accounts). 'Underlining' of some of the figures (e.g. at the end of
a column) has been acheived by placing a row beneath the figures and using a
series of 'm' dashes (I presume this has been done to keep the 'underlining'
the same width regardless of the number above - hence normal underlining is
not appropriate, but thinner than the width of the cell - hence a border is
not appropriate). The rows on which this 'underlining' appears are made very
thin so there is not a large gap between the 'underlining' and the number
above.

I have created a style for the 'underlining' to ensure consistency.

As the document has 'been around the block' a few times and the users are
very concerned about 'corrupt' formatting (strange formatting anomolies that
have crept into the document over the years making the document behave
strangely). I tidied it up, setting styles for all the kinds of text it
includes and ensuring all text is in one of the styles with no additional
formatting applied. I also decided to try saving as xml, then back to a doc
in the hope this might clear out any remaining anomolies.

After doing this, the row heights of the tables changed - the rows where
there is just the 'underlining' increased in height and I cannot get them to
reduce to their previous size without the 'text' (series of 'm' dashes)
becoming invisible (sitting too low in the cell to be seen).

I have compared to a previous version of the same document and formatting of
the style is identical and the settings for the table/row all appear to be
identical - however, in the 'old' version the text sits much higher in the
cell and the row can therefore be much thinner (which is the way they are
supposed to be).

Can anyone explain (or hazard a guess) as to what the process of saving to
xml and back again has changed in the table settings and how I can get them
back as desired?

TIA

Paul

--