How do I get my dog to be my emotional support animal?

Old May 14th 22, 08:52 AM
Dani1995 Dani1995 is offline

Default How do I get my dog to be my emotional support animal?

How do I get my dog to be my emotional support animal?
Old May 14th 22, 08:54 AM
Blandry333 Blandry333 is offline

Originally Posted by Dani1995 View Post
How do I get my dog to be my emotional support animal?
The only documentation you need for an emotional support animal is documentation from your mental health professional that you see saying you need one. Try PSD register online. There are places where you can pay to “register” or “certify” your pet as one, but those are basically scams and don’t have any legal backing.

Also, keep in mind an ESA is not a service animal and doesn’t have the legal protections, such as access rights, that service animals have. Service animals are highly trained to provide specific services for their disabled handlers and are expected to be properly behaved and focused on their job, ESAs are just pets whose presence helps people with mental/emotional issues that aren’t disabling enough to warrant a psychiatric service animal but still need the comfort that an ESA can bring.
Old May 14th 22, 08:55 AM
Mafonya4452 Mafonya4452 is offline

Just get a dog, most are pretty naturally emotional support animals. If it’s just the actual emotional support you’re after, nothing else needs to be done. I got a puppy when this whole stay-at-home thing started. He very definitely keeps me sane. FWIW, I’m pretty sure I’m his emotional support animal too. He does not want to be away from me ever.
Old June 15th 22, 04:45 PM
textilexst textilexst is offline

The sole difference between a regular pet and an emotional support animal is the owner's documentation.
You need to obtain an ESA letter for your animal to be considered an ESA. It will not turn it into a service animal but will give them a little more possibilities than regular pets have. For instance, you might get a possibility not to send this animal to the luggage section while traveling by airplane. But it depends on the airline, and they are not obligated to let you have your dog with you while flying. You will need to discuss that with the company itself. Same with the other cases when you might need some privileges for your ESA – you will have to talk to many officials and ask them to let you have the animal with you. And the answer in most cases will be ""no.""

Last edited by textilexst : June 21st 22 at 11:43 PM.