A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Page Layout
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How do I get my dog to be my emotional support animal?

Old May 14th 22, 08:52 AM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: May 2022
Default How do I get my dog to be my emotional support animal?

Ads
Old May 14th 22, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani1995 View Post
The only documentation you need for an emotional support animal is documentation from your mental health professional that you see saying you need one. Try PSD register online. There are places where you can pay to “register” or “certify” your pet as one, but those are basically scams and don’t have any legal backing.

Also, keep in mind an ESA is not a service animal and doesn’t have the legal protections, such as access rights, that service animals have. Service animals are highly trained to provide specific services for their disabled handlers and are expected to be properly behaved and focused on their job, ESAs are just pets whose presence helps people with mental/emotional issues that aren’t disabling enough to warrant a psychiatric service animal but still need the comfort that an ESA can bring.
Old May 14th 22, 08:55 AM

Just get a dog, most are pretty naturally emotional support animals. If it’s just the actual emotional support you’re after, nothing else needs to be done. I got a puppy when this whole stay-at-home thing started. He very definitely keeps me sane. FWIW, I’m pretty sure I’m his emotional support animal too. He does not want to be away from me ever.
Old June 15th 22, 04:45 PM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Jun 2022

The sole difference between a regular pet and an emotional support animal is the owner's documentation.
You need to obtain an ESA letter for your animal to be considered an ESA. It will not turn it into a service animal but will give them a little more possibilities than regular pets have. For instance, you might get a possibility not to send this animal to the luggage section while traveling by airplane. But it depends on the airline, and they are not obligated to let you have your dog with you while flying. You will need to discuss that with the company itself. Same with the other cases when you might need some privileges for your ESA – you will have to talk to many officials and ask them to let you have the animal with you. And the answer in most cases will be ""no.""

Last edited by textilexst : June 21st 22 at 11:43 PM.