Lin

Default Converting Word 2000 Files to Word 2003

Hi -

I work for a large company with global offices. I created about 11 technical
manuals in Word 2000 with lots of graphics and complicated formatting. They
range in length from well over 400 pages to about 100 pages, in size, they
are all below 10 mg.

My company is slowly but surely moving to Word 2003, pretty much one user at
a time, but its starting to affect me. Whenever someone sends me a file
created in 2003 and I try to edit it using 2000, the file corrupts. This is
also why I have not updated myself to 2003, as my manual files corrupt
horribly in 2003 and would take many hours to recreate.

Is there a secret to converting older versions of Word to 2003? I can't
spend any money to have it done by an outside vendor, but I really need to
upgrade without spending weeks to fix my manuals.

Doug Robbins

There is no difference between Word 2003 and Word 2000 that would cause that
problem (with the documents created in Word 2000 that is) There are a few
features in Word 2003 that are not available in Word 2000 that could cause a
problem if you were moving backwards.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Lin" wrote in message
[...]

Lin

Removing the question of corruption, my formatting is badly disrupted by
converting from 2000 to 2003. This is a big deal in my circumstances. I keep
my original templates on my D drive (not in the templates folder on the C
drive), which works fine with 2000. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Please help, this is a REAL problem.

Lin

"Lin" wrote in message
[...]

Graham Mayor

Point Word to the templates folder you wish to use - tools options file
locations user templates.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

There is no difference between Word 2003 and Word 2000 that would
cause that problem (with the documents created in Word 2000 that is)
There are a few features in Word 2003 that are not available in Word
2000 that could cause a problem if you were moving backwards.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on
a paid consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP