John

Default Supress the blank space from a blank data field?

My wife is using an Excel data source to create a Word mail merge.

She needs to supress the blank space that is created from a blank middle
initial field. All the anwers I've found here deal with blank LINES not
spaces.

How can she do what she wants?

Thanks,
--
John
Graham Mayor

You need a conditional field. Assuming fieldnames firstame lastname and
initial

{Mergefield Firstname} {IF {Mergefield Initial} "" "{Mergefield Initial}
"}{Mergefield Lastname}

Note the space before the closing quote.

John wrote:
My wife is using an Excel data source to create a Word mail merge.

She needs to supress the blank space that is created from a blank
middle initial field. All the anwers I've found here deal with blank
LINES not spaces.

How can she do what she wants?

Thanks,

Longwood Pam

HELP! I have the same problem. I'm using Office 2000 and am creating
envelopes in Word using an Excel spreadsheet as my data source. When I
insert my merge fields, there are no brackets {} as shown below. I have
tried copying exactly what is on the sample below, but all of the characters
(carrots, quotes, brackets, etc) print on the evelope. Each of my merge
fields is bracketed by double "baby" carrots (I don't have that key on my
keyboard so I can't show you what I mean). I have tried to modify the
example below according to the format I have, but the word IF prints on the
envelope or I still get that space if there is no middle initial. I tried
researching "conditional field" in the help section of the application, but
no luck. I don't know what else to try! Thanks!