Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Susieber Susieber is offline

Default How to Anchor Title/Caption to Table?

I've never been able to figure this out. I put a title above each table in my
document. But, if the automatic pagination causes the header row of the table
to jump to the next page, it doesn't take the line of title text with it. Is
there a way to do this with a style? I've tried selecting "Keep with next"
and "Window/orphan control" and the various table options that are supposed
to prevent my header row from breaking across pages too, but what I end up
with (in one example) is this:

Table Title
Header Row (repeating)
page break
Header Row

This is terrible! Any ideas? TIA,

Susie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jean-Guy Marcil Jean-Guy Marcil is offline

Susieber was telling us:
Susieber nous racontait que :

I've never been able to figure this out. I put a title above each
table in my document. But, if the automatic pagination causes the
header row of the table to jump to the next page, it doesn't take the
line of title text with it. Is there a way to do this with a style?
I've tried selecting "Keep with next" and "Window/orphan control" and
the various table options that are supposed to prevent my header row
from breaking across pages too, but what I end up with (in one
example) is this:

Table Title
Header Row (repeating)
page break
Header Row

I do this all the time.

If the Table Title is set to "Keep with Next" then it will follow the table
to the next page whenever the table's first row moves the next page (whether
it is a Heading Row Repeat or not).

The only exception I have seen is if the whole (or a too large portion) of
the document is set to "Keep with Next". Then, Word has no choice and it
must break the Keep with Next sequence somewhere or it would add page ad
infinitum. In such a case, your Table Tile could be orphaned alone on a
different page.

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Susieber Susieber is offline

Merci, Jean-Guy. Funny, I did have the style configured to "Keep with Next"
and it wasn't working for this one table. But I just made a change to a
_different_ table in the doc and all of a sudden, all tables were paginating
properly. (Go figure.)

Salut!

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jean-Guy Marcil Jean-Guy Marcil is offline

Susieber was telling us:
Susieber nous racontait que :

Merci, Jean-Guy. Funny, I did have the style configured to "Keep with
Next" and it wasn't working for this one table. But I just made a
change to a _different_ table in the doc and all of a sudden, all
tables were paginating properly. (Go figure.)

Another one for the Gremlins!

--
Salut!