planky

Default Endnotes

My manuscript has been created using Word 2K. It comprises several chapters
in separate files. Each chapter has endnotes. I have been unable to put the
chapters complete with endnotes into a single file as required. Please
help.--
planky
Daiya Mitchell

Try Insert | File to collect all the chapters into one file.

You'd probably get better information if you described what you meant by "as
required", and what you have already tried that doesn't work.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

planky

I have tried Insert/File. When I do, the text inserts but the endnotes do
not. "As required" referred to my publisher's requirement to have the entire
manuscript presented in a single file
--
planky

On 7/18/05 1:22 PM, "planky" wrote:

My manuscript has been created using Word 2K. It comprises several chapters
in separate files. Each chapter has endnotes. I have been unable to put the
chapters complete with endnotes into a single file as required. Please
help.--
planky

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

I bet the endnotes do insert, as I've done this, and it works fine.

Were these endnotes created by using Word's endnote feature to number them,
etc?

Might you be in Normal View, where the endnotes do not show?

Where are you looking for the endnotes? End of each chapter, or at the end
of the document?

What happens if you double-click on one of the endnote numbers?

What happens if you do a View | Footnotes (from the View menu)?

On 7/19/05 5:15 AM, "planky" wrote:

I have tried Insert/File. When I do, the text inserts but the endnotes do
not. "As required" referred to my publisher's requirement to have the entire
manuscript presented in a single file

planky

My apologies, but I was away from my computer for a few days. The endnotes
were created using Word's endnote feature. I am looking for the endnotes at
the end of each chapter. Perhaps the easiest route to your examining the
problem is to ask whether you would be willing you to try to put 2 or 3 of my
chapters nto a single file. If you are agreeable I can email them to you.
Appreciate the help!
--
planky

On 7/19/05 5:15 AM, "planky" wrote:

I have tried Insert/File. When I do, the text inserts but the endnotes do
not. "As required" referred to my publisher's requirement to have the entire
manuscript presented in a single file

Daiya Mitchell

If you didn't insert section breaks, then the endnotes will all be at the
end of all the combined chapters, the very end of the document. Did you look
there?

You did View | Footnotes in the combined document, and they still aren't
there?

Go ahead and try to email me a couple chapters, if neither of those work. Be
sure to mention version of Word.

daiya at-symbol mvps period-symbol org, or if you can see my address, remove
the obviously spamproofing parts.

On 7/25/05 1:12 PM, "planky" wrote:

My apologies, but I was away from my computer for a few days. The endnotes
were created using Word's endnote feature. I am looking for the endnotes at
the end of each chapter. Perhaps the easiest route to your examining the
problem is to ask whether you would be willing you to try to put 2 or 3 of my
chapters nto a single file. If you are agreeable I can email them to you.
Appreciate the help!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

planky

Have emailed 3 chapters. If you are successful in placing them together with
their endnotes in a single file, can you let me have the steps you followed
in detail? Thanks.
--
planky

On 7/25/05 1:12 PM, "planky" wrote:

My apologies, but I was away from my computer for a few days. The endnotes
were created using Word's endnote feature. I am looking for the endnotes at
the end of each chapter. Perhaps the easiest route to your examining the
problem is to ask whether you would be willing you to try to put 2 or 3 of my
chapters nto a single file. If you are agreeable I can email them to you.
Appreciate the help!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

planky

Thanks for your very comprehensive analysis and advice. It will take me a
some time to digest, understand and correct my obvious deficiencies in the
implementation of Word. I will try to clean up the document based on your
comments before getting it to the publishers.The publishers expect an
electronic submission and I do have the tables and other graphics in a
separate file. Hope your interest in the Caribbean goes well. I have been to
both Dominica & Trinidad.
Very best regards and thanks again!
--
planky

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:ed on your

On 7/26/05 8:18 AM, "planky" wrote:

Have emailed 3 chapters. If you are successful in placing them together with
their endnotes in a single file, can you let me have the steps you followed
in detail? Thanks.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

How much you do before sending it to the publishers really depends on what
the publishers demand--they probably have to reformat it anyhow so anything
off in your formatting probably won't faze them. On the other hand,
reformatting an existing document is definitely a good way to experiment
with styles in Word.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh.

On 7/26/05 11:48 AM, "planky" wrote:

Thanks for your very comprehensive analysis and advice. It will take me a
some time to digest, understand and correct my obvious deficiencies in the
implementation of Word. I will try to clean up the document based on your
comments before getting it to the publishers.The publishers expect an
electronic submission and I do have the tables and other graphics in a
separate file. Hope your interest in the Caribbean goes well. I have been to
both Dominica & Trinidad.
Very best regards and thanks again!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

DendWrite

This is a great tip. Sure hope it makes it into next version of online help.

One thing to add: If the hidden text still prints, verify that Word is not
configured to print hidden text (File Print, click the Options button in
lower left corner, and clear the Hidden Text checkbox).

Mike

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

And note that there's no point inserting the commas since they'll be hidden,
anyway. Just line the footnote references up as 123, then insert an en dash
before or after the 2 and format it as hidden.

"Sarah" wrote in message
news

Thanks for the fast reply - quite a headache saver!

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Word can't automatically do this. You'll have to manually type a hyphen
after the 1 and format the ,2, as hidden text (Format | Font | Hidden).

"Sarah" wrote:

I need to condense my endnote markings....so that instead of writing
"...studies show Bob likes cars"^1,2,3.....reads ".....studies show

Bob likes
cars"^1-3.

But no matter what I try, the result is a deletion of reference 2.

Thanks!!