Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
L Sangree L Sangree is offline

Default Open Word 2007 doc with link to Excel 2007

We have "model" Word docs in a shared directory that have links to Excel.
When someone wants to use the model they copy all the Excel and Word docs for
that model from the shared directory to a new folder of their own.

In 2003 the procedure that worked was to copy the files. Open the Excel
sheets. Open the Word doc. Press Alt F9 to see all links. Select entire
document. Press F9 to update links. The update would change the file path
from the shared directory to the new individual directory.

In 2007 (just installed) when I press F9 to update the links, I get a
Microsoft Office Word error box: "The server application, source file, or
item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly installed, and
tht it has not been deleted, moved, renamed, or blocked by policy." The path
name is not changed. I can edit them manually with find/replace but that is a
nuisance when it used to be automatic! (There are MANY links in each document
to several different workbooks.)

In both 2003 and 2007 we have turned OFF the option to automatically update
links on open.