Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tedoniman

Default How to change Word default backup folder for .wbk extension files

Win XP SP2 / Word 2003. How can we change the Word doc default backup
location. As it stands, Word can be made to auto-backup Word docs w/ the
".wbk"
extension to same folder that the main file is saved to.

When I click "Save as" or "Save", I would like to be able to simultaneously
auto-back my document to a prefered location (ex: a folder in a different
computer on the home network), or, simultaneously send a backup to BOTH the
default AND the prefered location.

To me, this seems more practical and secure than a default-backup mechanism
which targets the same folder on the same drive which might crash and
obliterate all forever - as recently occurred.

Is there a simple solution to all this or does it require a special Word
macro?

Thanks,

--
Ted...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

See if this provides what you are looking for:

http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

tedoniman wrote:
Win XP SP2 / Word 2003. How can we change the Word doc default backup
location. As it stands, Word can be made to auto-backup Word docs w/
the ".wbk"
extension to same folder that the main file is saved to.

When I click "Save as" or "Save", I would like to be able to
simultaneously auto-back my document to a prefered location (ex: a
folder in a different computer on the home network), or,
simultaneously send a backup to BOTH the default AND the prefered
location.

To me, this seems more practical and secure than a default-backup
mechanism which targets the same folder on the same drive which might
crash and obliterate all forever - as recently occurred.

Is there a simple solution to all this or does it require a special
Word macro?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tedoniman

Default How to change Word default backup folder for .wbk extension fi

Thanx, Greg, for the lightning-fast response. Will check it all out and let
you know.

Appreciate.

--
Ted...

tedoniman wrote:
Win XP SP2 / Word 2003. How can we change the Word doc default backup
location. As it stands, Word can be made to auto-backup Word docs w/
the ".wbk"
extension to same folder that the main file is saved to.

When I click "Save as" or "Save", I would like to be able to
simultaneously auto-back my document to a prefered location (ex: a
folder in a different computer on the home network), or,
simultaneously send a backup to BOTH the default AND the prefered
location.

To me, this seems more practical and secure than a default-backup
mechanism which targets the same folder on the same drive which might
crash and obliterate all forever - as recently occurred.

Is there a simple solution to all this or does it require a special
Word macro?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tedoniman

OK, Greg. Just had a peek. Looks like precisely the absolute exact thing I
was looking for! I'll follow up on that and let you know in due time.
Meantime, you got my vote - and many thanks indeed.

--
Ted...

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 07:26 PM
Global Template Question Deb McLellan New Users 6 February 13th 06 04:20 PM
How can Word display full path of a file in the title bar? SAsif Microsoft Word Help 1 January 26th 06 05:32 PM
Word applies direct format on File open Uriel Microsoft Word Help 16 November 27th 05 08:22 PM