Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default "Autoformat" v. "Autoformat as you type" -- what's the difference?

They have different options but many are the same.

How do they behave differently?

Man, the Office 2007 help files really suck.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

AutoFormat does nothing until you manually start it. You can add a button
for that to the Quick Access Toolbar (find the AutoFormatNow command in the
Commands Not In the Ribbon category in the Customize dialog). I see it
assigned to the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+K, but I'm not sure whether that's a
default assignment or one that I made.

AutoFormat As You Type is exactly that -- the changes occur as soon as Word
recognizes something you typed as being of the right kind.

And I agree, the Word 2007 help is more poorly organized, or at least more
poorly indexed, than in previous versions. That has been a trend through the
last few releases.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman