Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Default Another great example of how Word 2007 "brings commands closer to the surface"

Then by your implied logic, and by Microsoft's explicit logic, keyboard
shortcuts should be eliminated.

Larry

P.S. Indeed, not only do most users not work like me, the great majority of
users do not even use the most basic keyboard commands, such as Ctrl+I for
italic. The average typist in an office would rather use the mouse to
click on the Italic button in the formatting bar. Further, with Word 2007,
the formatting commands are only displayed if the "Home" tab of the Ribbon
is displayed. So if our typist has just used some other tab of the Ribbon,
she would first have to switch back to the "Home" tab in order to access the
Italic command.

Oh, what a brilliant, user-friendly, intuitive interface!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But can you accept that the majority of users do NOT use Word the way you
do? The vast majority of them would never think of going to the trouble to
customize Word this way even if they were told how, and most have no

desire
to use Word this way. I find that most users are not interested in

keyboard
shortcuts at all.

so
all may benefit.

"Larry" wrote in message

Also, if memory serves correctly, years ago Beth helped me with macros

prevent the vertical and horizonal scroll bars from ever appearing

unless
wanted them (and helped me with a lot of other things as well). It was

bit of a trick. Word just wanted those ugly scroll bars to keep popping

up.
Only serious customization could get around that. But once we had it,

it
was never an issue again. I have simple keystrokes to toggle the

scrollbars
when I want them, not when Microsoft wants them. My aim in that case and
generally has been to keep all unnecessary clutter out of the Word

window.
So I got rid of all toolbar buttons that I don't use, and replaced the
Standard and Formatting toolbars with one simplified toolbar. I never
display the Ruler except when I need it. Also, the blue background

screen
is "cooler," easier on the eyes. So the whole look is simple and

pleasing
to the eye. To me, the way Word looks when it opens in its default

state
is
an incredible eyesore.

The other thing for me is to have an integrated environment, where I do
things with the minimum of keystrokes or mouseclicks. For example, I
developed a single key command (Num1) to toggle the Blue background off

and
on. I have a single key command (Num2) which not only toggles the
capitalization of a word, but if there's a selection going up to the

start
of a word, it cuts the selection and toggles the capitalization of the

first
letter of the word immediately following the selection. I have three

custom
menus with many macros I use constantly, every one of those macros takes
just two keystrokes, Alt+Letter, Letter. I'm still not sure if it's

posible
to replicate something like that in 2007.

Things that take two steps in the older versions (even without my
customizations), take three or more steps in 2007, things that take one

step
in the older versions (like opening the Window menu via keystroke) take

two
steps in 2007. This is totally unacceptable. The whole point is that
things that you do often be done with the minimum of keystrokes.

So my approach is to make Word's look as simple as possible, and Word's
operation as simple as possible.

Word 2007 is not only the opposite of that, it basically makes it

impossible
to customize around it. It imposes so much more on you (that incredibly
complicated, hyperactive Ribbon) and makes it impossible to escape it.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I think it's impossible to persuade you in general, Larry. ;-)

If you want the truth, when I saw the new UI you were one of the first
people that came to mind. I thought, oh my, when Larry sees this he'll

have
a heart attack. I'm thankful to see you've taken a look at it and are

still
around. grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade me

that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of

operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had with

you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I can

say
you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Now you may reply that the average user will get around that little problem
of a much needed common command not always being instantly accessible, by
adding the command to the "Quick Access Toolbar." But given that the
average user does not even care enough about going beyond the surface of
Word to use Ctrl+I for Italic, let alone to do any customizing at all, then
he or she is not going to add frequenly used commands to the Quick Access
Toolbar. As a result, with Word 2007, it will take MORE steps for the
average user to access commonly used commands (which used to be ALWAYS
displayed on the now defunct Formatting and Standard toolbars), than it did
previously.

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade

me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of

operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had with

you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I can

say
you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"Larry" wrote in message

You don't necessarily need to go that far, you can use the Page Color and
the font will automatically change to a white text, provided you are
using
theme colors, that is.

When you say theme colors do you mean Windows theme or are there Word
themes
as well?

A bit of both. If you want the font color to automatically switch when the
Page Color is changed then use the Automatic color from the Windows theme.
Word has three UI themes/color schemes, found in the Popular section of Word
Options (you won't like these because they don't change the page
background), and Office 2007 documents support Themes.

Document Themes are found on the Page Layout tab. They provide Fonts, Color,
and Effects to documents and are shared across the Office application. If
you want to see how they work then create a new document using a template
from Microsoft Office Online and then select another Theme. You'll see the
three elements automatically update to those of the new theme in the
document. (Except for Effects - Word only uses those for a few elements.)

If you're looking for the blue background/white text look then if your font
color uses the Automatic font color, on the Page Layout tab, select the Dark
blue color and you'll see the switch to a dark background/white font. To
switch them back just remove the Page Color.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cicely Waldrop Cicely Waldrop is offline

Hi Larry,

I have very interested in how you have customized Word. Do you mind
posting a screenshot or e-mailing a template?

Thanks

Posted At: Monday, April 09, 2007 2:53 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.word.newusers
Conversation: Another great example of how Word 2007 "brings commands
closer to the surface"
Subject: Another great example of how Word 2007 "brings commands
closer to the surface"

Also, if memory serves correctly, years ago Beth helped me with macros
prevent the vertical and horizonal scroll bars from ever appearing
unless I

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade me

that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of

operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had with

you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I can

say
you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I'm glad you're laughing. :-)

I honestly wasn't joking about thinking of you. I know your ideal program
would be one that once the installation is complete to walk you through your
screen setup. Such as, provide an empty toolbar and a set of commands to
pick from, walk through remapping the keyboard, and in the end, display a
view similar to Full Screen view along with your single toolbar, all right
out of the box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

"Larry" wrote in message
LOL.

I'm laughing, but I'm miserable. :-)

... And still in a state of amazement and fury at what MS has done.

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of operation

was
for the Greater Good.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

No, Word has always provided a variety of ways to accomplish any given task,
to accommodate user preference insofar as possible, while still leaning to
making the UI most accommodating for the majority of users. I'll also add
that many users *do* adopt at least some keyboard shortcuts when they are
introduced to them, but most casual Word users (and that includes a *lot* of
users, since "everybody" has Word) don't have the same needs as power users.

I also appreciate having both keyboard shortcuts and toolbar buttons because
I work in two modes. When I am typing (entering or composing text), I use
keyboard shortcuts as I go, but when I am editing and formatting, since I
have the mouse in my hand already, it is usually more efficient to use
buttons, although I do use some left-hand keyboard shortcuts.

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade

me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of

operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had with

you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I can

say
you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

(I'm not sure why I'm doing this - I resolved to leave this discussion
alone....lol)

The average user doesn't use Ctrl+I for Italic, they click a button. The
average user didn't discover the Customize dialog box and never knew they
could customize their environment. The average user would get toolbars
turned on didn't know how to turn them off. The average user didn't know how
to move a toolbar. Now, as a trainer, I have the mindset of providing more
focus on training which has been, and still is, my viewpoint. But there are
other aspects for me to consider as well, such as those providing the
training (there's some lousy trainers out there) and companies who don't
believe in training, as unfortunate as that might be.

The timesaving factors go a a little deeper than surface navigation. It's
more in the vein of faster document creation. Such as inserting an entire
page of content into a document that is perfectly formatted to the source
document with a couple clicks and later swap the page with another, again
with a few clicks of the mouse, without the need to delete the previously
inserted page. (Remember, most users like to 'click' and they want to
'click' on visual objects, not work from memorization.)

Consider this scenario for the average user. I have a document that needs to
be faxed electronically. My fax cover has a specific structure, it needs to
specific contain data used in the document, and it needs to match the
formatting, such as the fonts, used in the document. In Word 2007, in a few
clicks I can insert a report cover page (without navigating to the beginning
of the document), that satisfies each of my requirements. Then later, I can
remove the report cover, without the need to select and delete, or I can
swap the cover with a Fax cover page, again, without the need to select and
delete. Each cover page will also pick up my previously typed data.

Yes, the above could still be accomplished in previous versions but it would
also require VBA knowledge which means some type of developer would need to
be involved. Now, the average user can accomplish these tasks without the
need to invest in another party - even as a developer I find the new
functionality faster.

You can get an idea of what I'm referring to using these steps:
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click New
- In the Office Online Templates section, select the Reports category.
- Create a new document based on the Report (Median theme) template.
- Type a document title in the Content Control provided on the first page.
(You should see the placeholder text "Type the document title")
- In the other Content Controls provided, type a subtitle, company name, and
pick a date. (Each one will have placeholder text.)
- Take a look at page 2 and note the Title has been updated in the Header
and in the first heading, along with the subtitle. (Updated automatically
without using a macro. Additionally, you can change the data in any Content
Control.)
- On the Insert tab, click Cover Page, and in the Reports section (these are
included in the template), click Cover 4 to insert the cover page at the
beginning of the document.
- Note the Title, Subtitle, and Company, have been picked up from the
previously typed data.
- Select another cover page from the Report section, such as Fax Cover 2.
This action replaces Cover 4 in the document, the Company name is
automatically filled in, and additional Content Controls have been provided
for data entry and data selection. (Note that these can be locked for entry
only without protecting the document, deletion of the control can be
prevented, and the controls and document can be spell checked.)
- If you want different look for the document, on the Page Layout tab,
select another Theme and the document will update to the new fonts and
colors.
- Note the Building Blocks in the galleries also update to the new document
theme. (Granted, most are gaudy but you can create custom Themes that use a
specific company standard.)

Average users can create similar templates that function in the same maner
without the need to turn to VBA and spend time getting the right sequence of
commands.

Some background on how this works. The Title, Subtitle, and Company fields
are bound document property fields that also automatically update the file
Properties. Content Controls are XML-based and support data binding so all
of the data entered in the Fax page could potentially be bound to a data
source. From a developer's viewpoint, these are some exciting advancements.
From a user's viewpoint, in the end, creating documents takes less work and
there's the added aspect of visual document creation and little need for
memorization.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade

me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of

operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had
with

you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I
can

say
you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Beth,

I'll try this out and follow your steps when I get back again to the
computer with Word 2007.

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Cicely,

I don't seem to be able to paste a screen shot into a formatted news
message, I don't know why. I could paste it into a Word document and e-mail
to you as an attachment if you like.

I can't send you my template, though I am working it into something to sell
online, primarily for writers to provide a host of quicker and easier ways
to do various writing, editing, and navigating tasks.

Larry

"Cicely Waldrop" wrote in message
Hi Larry,

I have very interested in how you have customized Word. Do you mind
posting a screenshot or e-mailing a template?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

No, that wouldn't be my ideal because my personal set up is one that I
evolved according to my needs and preferences. I don't think my preferences
would apply to other people. That's what Word is (or was) supposed to be
about--customizability. That's why we call our computers _personal_
computers.

However, as Word comes out of the box, there are infinite annoying things
about it that can only be solved by a person who (1) has a high Annoyance
Quotient (AQ), and (2) has a strong interest in customization and desire to
learn some VBA programming. Everyone else, i.e. 99.5 percent of the
population, is basically going to be stuck in the clunky, ugly realm of
Word's default settings. But that Word provides (or used to provide) that
awesome customization capacity to those who want it is wonderful.

(Remember, Beth, what we had to do to get the horizontal and vertical scroll
bars _never_ to appear on their own. That is a good example of Word's
built-in annoyance factor.)

Larry

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of operation

was
for the Greater Good.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I doubt a lot of it would benefit you, specifically, I think I have a fairly
good idea of how you use Word, but perhaps it will be a demonstration of how
there's more to the change than just the UI.

To be perfectly honest, I personally don't love the Ribbon and wish the
added functionality would have been integrated with the old UI, but I can
also see the benefits. It wasn't until I started digging deeper into the
changes and learning about the new functionality that I finally accepted the
Ribbon and found it's not as bad as I thought it would be initially.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Larry" wrote in message
Beth,

I'll try this out and follow your steps when I get back again to the
computer with Word 2007.

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] mtangard@speakeasy.net is offline

I don't find that to be true at all. I coach a firm of 55 employees
in 4 offices, most of whom were with the company when it switched from
WP to Word a few weeks before I arrived, so their learning curve was
unpleasant. Naturally with that mindset they'd been adapting slowly.
The two most critical things that appealed to them and uplifted their
collective viewpoint were macros and keyboard shortcuts.

Once they were shown these things, they adored them, and were unnerved
(often greatly) when a new or foreign PC didn't have them. Everyone
seems to appreciate keyboard shortcuts and the ability to remap them.
(Most never use the Bold or Italic buttons anymore. It's just easier
not to move your hand from the keyboard.) I placed a menu-building
add-in on each system to simplify over 70 procedures, often complex
ones that no average user would bother to do manually. It runs each
of these macros in 2 or 3 clicks or keystrokes, and the staff is now
in love with it. Word 2007 will slow or stifle this.

I think 5 concepts now being widely offered as fact are simply wrong
at base: (1) the average user is too dumb & lazy to want to improve
efficiency or reduce fatigue; (2) power users are close-minded
curmudgeons who are resistant to any change on general principle; (3)
users as a whole are such utter sheep that everyone will eventually
submit to Microsoft's peverse rug-yank; (4) the ribbon is more
inherently more efficient than the menus; and (5) clicks or keystrokes
that invoke commands are a significant part of the document-creating
or -editing experience. (They're not; most average users' time spent
at the computer is used for typing or scrolling, not finding specific
commands on menus or buttons. That much should be obvious.)

Word 2007 may look cute to newbies or amusing for the idle or self-
employed, but anyone who works in a standard office setting facing
normal concerns about deadlines and overhead will be hopelessly
injured if they upgrade.

I'm with Larry. I think 2007 is an abomination that invites revolt.
Yes, I'm a power user. Folks here seem almost willing to imply that's
a bad thing.

Mark

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
But can you accept that the majority of users do NOT use Word the way you
do? The vast majority of them would never think of going to the trouble to
customize Word this way even if they were told how, and most have no desire
to use Word this way. I find that most users are not interested in keyboard
shortcuts at all.

"Larry" wrote in message

Also, if memory serves correctly, years ago Beth helped me with macros to
prevent the vertical and horizonal scroll bars from ever appearing unless

wanted them (and helped me with a lot of other things as well). It was a

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade me

that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of operation

was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had with you

on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I can say

you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I don't think what you're saying contradicts what I've said. How many of
your users would have customized the UI *on their own*? Yes, users, when
properly trained, will use macros and shortcuts when they are provided, but
the average user does not create these macros and shortcuts. That's not to
say that they wouldn't if they realized they could; most of them just never
realize this. Which is why user customization is going to be one of my top
three points in the Word classes I start teaching this week. I hate to think
that the skills users will learn in these classes will be washed down the
drain if they get Word 2007, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

oups.com...

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade

me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of

operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had with

you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I can

say
you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Hey, I tried. :-)

I guess I'm one who doesn't have too many problems with the defaults.
Although I try to use Word "as-is" so I can have the same experiences as
most users. That way when the opportunity for feedback to Microsoft arises
I'm prepared with my list. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of
operation
was
for the Greater Good.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You can still customize the environment (even the Ribbon) and assign
keyboard shortcuts, just as you did before. Your menu add-in will still
function in Word 2007 along with the macros and keyboard shortcuts. When an
add-in, document, or template, that contains customized toolbars and menus
from the previous version another tab will be added, called Add-ins.

Unfortunately, a lot of what you've read here is first impression and
speculation. :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

oups.com...

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade me

that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of
operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had with
you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I can
say
you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Make sure you turn on CEIP before you show the group how to customize the
toolbars. grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

oups.com...

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade

me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of

operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had
with

you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I
can

say
you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown Stan Brown is offline

Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:41:09 -0500 from Suzanne S. Barnhill
:
No, Word has always provided a variety of ways to accomplish any given task,
to accommodate user preference insofar as possible, while still leaning to
making the UI most accommodating for the majority of users. I'll also add
that many users *do* adopt at least some keyboard shortcuts when they are
introduced to them, but most casual Word users (and that includes a *lot* of
users, since "everybody" has Word) don't have the same needs as power users.

I remember support for this in the MS blog that Joann pointed me to a
few weeks ago. It said that even people who used Ctrl-V a lot also
clicked the Paste icon a lot. Since then I've paid attention, and
even though I'm a keyboard guy I find myself using that Paste icon.
:-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Mark's points are so important, and are worth re-reading and thinking about.
I especially like Number 5: It's as though the main purpose of Word is
fancy functions to manage fancy documents, rather than the basic task of
typing and editing text. MS, in its desire for innovation for the sake of
innovation, has lost sight of what most people spend their time doing with
Word, which is typing, editing, and formatting text.

Based on the unhappiness expressed by several respected MVPs, something I've
never seen before in the eight years I've been frequenting the Word
newsgroups, I think there is a basis for some kind of collective statement
or petition to Microsoft from the newsgroups, led by the MVPs, pointing out
the serious problems with Word 2007 and asking for a major retooling,
including restoring basic features that have been taken away like the menus
and toolbars. Terry said his own requests and suggestions had been
rebuffed. But what if a bunch of MVPs and other interested Word users spoke
together? We might not win, but Microsoft could not completely ignore us
either. They would have to face the fact that intelligent people deeply
interested in Word see serious problems here.

Word experts of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your
Microsoft Office Button.

Larry

oups.com...

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade

me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of

operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had with

you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I can

say
you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I've removed the Cut, Copy, and Paste buttons from my toolbar in order to
accommodate others, and I have never missed them. I do use a lot of the
formatting buttons (Italic, Bold, Underline, Double Underline, Small Caps,
All Caps) when I'm editing, but I use only the keyboard shortcut for
pasting.

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word MVPs have provided feedback to MS, individually and collectively,
throughout the development process. It's not as if this UI had burst upon an
unsuspecting world: Jensen Harris started documenting it in his blog
(http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/) in September 2005. The only thing that will
change Microsoft's direction is massive failure of corporate America to
adopt the new version. But, given the reluctance of many corporations to
upgrade early in the product life cycle, it may take a while for this
failure to become evident.

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade

me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of

operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had

with
you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I

can
say
you
that will change your mind...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Like Suzanne, the first customisation I make to my Toolbars (both main
toolbar and the right-click toolbars that I use regularly) is to remove the
Cut/Copy/Paste commands - along with italic, bold and underline). I always
use the keyboard: a lifetime's habit (along with Control+S, Control+P and
other windows-wide keyboard commands).

In Word2007, I am particularly annoyed that not only is the Clipboard Group
given so much prominence on the Home Ribbon, but the Paste button is HUGE
and the Format Painter uses a humungous area of screen real estate because
it has been anointed with the words 'Format Painter' - which cannot be
turned off. Just how much in your face is that? That's not bringing a
command closer to the surface: it's slapping you in the face with a wet
kipper.

I understand that for most 'normal' users (read unskilled Word users) the
Paste button is the number 1 button. So what: why should that stop a skilled
user from having the choice to remove it?

Let's redesign the keyboard layout and put the skilled users keys underneath
to make more room for bigger keys for the unskilled users on top. There
could be a whopping great big return key to make sure that the unskilled
users are able to put in loads of space between paragraphs and an equally
huge spacebar so that the same users can line up their columns of text...

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You cannot add attachments in these newsgroups: can you imagine users
attaching 10MB documents that they cannot open?

Terry Farrell

"Larry" wrote in message

Cicely,

I don't seem to be able to paste a screen shot into a formatted news
message, I don't know why. I could paste it into a Word document and
e-mail
to you as an attachment if you like.

I can't send you my template, though I am working it into something to
sell
online, primarily for writers to provide a host of quicker and easier ways
to do various writing, editing, and navigating tasks.

Larry

"Cicely Waldrop" wrote in message
Hi Larry,

I have very interested in how you have customized Word. Do you mind
posting a screenshot or e-mailing a template?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

I understand that for most 'normal' users (read unskilled Word users) the
Paste button is the number 1 button. So what: why should that stop a

skilled
user from having the choice to remove it?

Ah, but there's a deeper purpose here, which you haven't discovered yet.
You must accept on faith that that deeper purpose exists, and drop your
negativity and your complaining, and then, after several months of immersing
yourself with an open mind and a positive attitude in this environment, the
true sense and worth of it will become clear to you.

And this is what we all must do.

Larry

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
[...]

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

But as has been mentioned, there is software which will allow you to
customize the Ribbon, move or delete groups, move or delete an entire tab,
and so on. MS doesn't provide this with Word, you have to pay a third-party
company $30 for it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The "third-party company" is a student, Patrick Schmid, who is also an MVP.
He has put in over a year of work and research in learning to use Ribbon UI.
And $30 is a darn good price for something you need/want. Or you could
become as adept at Ribbon UI as you are at VBA and write an app yourself.

"Larry" wrote in message
But as has been mentioned, there is software which will allow you to
customize the Ribbon, move or delete groups, move or delete an entire tab,
and so on. MS doesn't provide this with Word, you have to pay a

third-party
company $30 for it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, you can't post attachments through the Communities interface. You can
post attachments via NNTP, but very few end users will see them because
they're mostly reading the NGs through the Web portal.

"Larry" wrote in message

Cicely,

I don't seem to be able to paste a screen shot into a formatted news
message, I don't know why. I could paste it into a Word document and
e-mail
to you as an attachment if you like.

I can't send you my template, though I am working it into something to
sell
online, primarily for writers to provide a host of quicker and easier

ways
to do various writing, editing, and navigating tasks.

Larry

"Cicely Waldrop" wrote in message
Hi Larry,

I have very interested in how you have customized Word. Do you mind
posting a screenshot or e-mailing a template?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Uh, I was passing on to Terry information that someone else in the group had
given to me, that there is a way to solve the problem with the Ribbon he was
describing.

I was also pointing out that this solution is not provided as a part of
Word.

I hope that's ok with you.

"Larry" wrote in message
But as has been mentioned, there is software which will allow you to
customize the Ribbon, move or delete groups, move or delete an entire

tab,
and so on. MS doesn't provide this with Word, you have to pay a

third-party
company $30 for it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Larry wrote:
I could paste it into a Word document and e-mail
to you as an attachment if you like.

The tendency of people to think that Word makes a good wrapper to
exchange a single picture is symptomatic of the factors that landed us
with Word 2007--the idea that Word can and should be able to do everything!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Thanks Larry. I was aware of the utility: but like you, I don't see why this
shouldn't be an out-of-the-box, user-friendly feature. I hope Paul is well
on the way to become a dollar millionaire!

Terry

"Larry" wrote in message
But as has been mentioned, there is software which will allow you to
customize the Ribbon, move or delete groups, move or delete an entire

tab,
and so on. MS doesn't provide this with Word, you have to pay a

third-party
company $30 for it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Well, I couldn't paste it into an e-mail, so Word was the next alternative.
What would you suggest that I have done?

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
Larry wrote:
I could paste it into a Word document and e-mail
to you as an attachment if you like.

The tendency of people to think that Word makes a good wrapper to
exchange a single picture is symptomatic of the factors that landed us
with Word 2007--the idea that Word can and should be able to do

everything!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

So that's it? MVPs have provided feedback in the past, and MS did not heed
them, so the subject is closed and there's nothing to do but accept the
destruction of the Word interface?

I don't know anything about the relations of MVPs and Microsoft. But I
would guess that any feedback by MVPs during the testing period was on the
softspoken side. I would suggest that if MVPs as a group spoke out more
strongly now, really conveying the depth of unhappiness with Word 2007 and
how unacceptable it is, that there would at least be a chance that MS will
hear them and do something about it. It's the squeaky wheel that gets
greased. You have nothing to lose, and a great deal to gain, for
yourselves, and for all Word users.

Larry

something stronger is needed.

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Paul Ballou Paul Ballou is offline

Attach it to the email

--
Paul Ballou
MVP Office

Larry wrote:
I could paste it into a Word document and e-mail
to you as an attachment if you like.

The tendency of people to think that Word makes a good wrapper to
exchange a single picture is symptomatic of the factors that landed us
with Word 2007--the idea that Word can and should be able to do

everything!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Attach a screen shot to an e-mail??

Again, I made a screen shot. It would not paste into an e-mail. So I
pasted it into Word, and attached the Word document to an e-mail and sent
the e-mail to Cicely.

I hope I have passed muster.

"Paul Ballou" wrote in message
Attach it to the email

--

Larry wrote:
I could paste it into a Word document and e-mail
to you as an attachment if you like.

The tendency of people to think that Word makes a good wrapper to
exchange a single picture is symptomatic of the factors that landed us
with Word 2007--the idea that Word can and should be able to do

everything!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Feedback from MVPs is never soft-spoken. The MVPs who provided feedback were
mostly those who were using the beta. These include PPT MVP Echo Swinford,
who identified and documented more bugs than anyone else in the entire
Office beta (for those who don't know Echo, she's widely known around MS as
"the 'It sucks' lady"). But the number of Word MVPs is quite small in
proportion to the total number of Word users, and MS considers feedback from
a wide variety of sources, including large corporations with volume
licensing. In particular, many decisions were made based on CEIP data; those
who did not participate in CEIP could be argued to have only themselves to
blame, though, as mentioned here, CEIP data probably did not accurately
represent user customization.

MVPs are still providing outspoken feedback. We most recently did so at the
MVP Summit (March 12-15). And the product team *does* listen. But our
viewpoint is still a minority, no matter how vocal.

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

No, you paste the screen shot into a graphics app and save it in a
(compressed) graphic format. If you have only Word to paste it into, you can
find instructions for extracting it as a graphic at
http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm

Larry wrote:
I could paste it into a Word document and e-mail
to you as an attachment if you like.

The tendency of people to think that Word makes a good wrapper to
exchange a single picture is symptomatic of the factors that landed

us
with Word 2007--the idea that Word can and should be able to do
everything!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

What is the advantage of that--is it that the graphics app is smaller?

However, what if I accompany the screen shot with text? I guess I could
type that into the graphics app.

Larry wrote:
I could paste it into a Word document and e-mail
to you as an attachment if you like.

The tendency of people to think that Word makes a good wrapper to
exchange a single picture is symptomatic of the factors that landed

us
with Word 2007--the idea that Word can and should be able to do
everything!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Robert is offline

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:04:01 -0400, Larry wrote:

Well, I couldn't paste it into an e-mail, so Word was the next alternative.
What would you suggest that I have done?

Hi, Larry

Screenshots are essentially picture files.
As such, they can easily be attached to emails.
But in practical terms, it all depends how you make the screenshots.

If you use the PrintScreen key, the screenshot is sent to the Windows
clipboard as a bitmap picture. In this case, you have to paste the
clipboard contents into some application to be able to use the picture in
any meaningful way. You pasted into Word but there are better/simpler ways.
Word is a "word" processor. What you actually need is a "picture"
processor. Any would do, the most basic being the Windows "Paint" program
(which is still available in XP). Pasting into "Paint" allows you to save
the picture as a BMP, JPEG, TIFF, GIF, or PNG file.

Now it is often more practical to make screenshots using a screen capture
application. In this case, you can usually choose where to send the
screenshot to. You can send it to the Windows clipboard, but more aptly you
can save it directly to a picture file. I can recommend "FastStone Capture"
(http://www.faststone.org/download.htm). It is totally free and as
user-friendly as can be. Here is a description from the help: "A powerful,
flexible and intuitive screen-capture utility. It allows you to capture
anything on the screen including windows, objects, full screen, rectangle /
freehand-selected regions and scrolling windows/web pages." "FastStone
Capture" also allows you to edit the screenshot picture, add frames or
text, change size or colour count, email or print the picture directly.
--
Cheers
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

For those who want a dedicated screen capture utility that is really
full-featured (and still very affordable), I recommend SnagIt
(www.techsmith.com).

/
freehand-selected regions and scrolling windows/web pages." "FastStone
Capture" also allows you to edit the screenshot picture, add frames or
text, change size or colour count, email or print the picture directly.
--
Cheers
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Robert is offline

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:49:51 -0500, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

For those who want a dedicated screen capture utility that is really
full-featured (and still very affordable), I recommend SnagIt
(www.techsmith.com).

It all depends what are the user's actual needs.
There is no point in having a "really" full-featured application if only a
few of these features are ever used.
Most screen captures that I personally ever make can be done with
"FastStone Capture" for free. And I would assume this to be the case with
most ordinary end-users. Why should we fork out $40 for additional features
that we would never use? What's more, "SnagIt" has got few extra features
that would not be available in "FastStone Capture".

Also note that a lot of users own a dedicated graphic application such as
Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. These applications can make screen captures
too. And they are as "full-featured" as "SnagIt" can be. Whenever I need
the extra features (especially editing features), I use Paint Shop Pro. But
"FastStone Capture" answsers most ordinary needs. Especially when all the
user wants to do is send a (few) screen capture(s) of his customisation of
the Word UI...
--
Cheers
Robert