Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sarah Jane

Default Toolbar exists, but unavailable

A month or so ago, I created a customized toolbar in Word 2003 that I named
"Headings". Today, I wanted to turn it back on, but it was not listed under
View - Toolbars nor was it listed on the Toolbars tab under Customize. I
thought I had saved my Headings toolbar in Normal.dot, but since I couldn't
find it in the usual places, I assumed I hadn't saved it. So, I was going to
go recreate it and make sure I saved it this time, but now I get a message
that says "A toolbar named 'Headings' already exists. Type another name."
This leads me to believe I did save it. I just don't know how to access it.
Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and/or how to find and restore it?

I think I have read every question and almost every article dealing with
customized toolbars, but since I don't use Word that often and what little I
do in Word is rather basic, I didn't understand much of what I read. I can
tell you that I have Adobe Reader 7.0, but not Adobe Acrobat 7.
Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sarah Jane

I don't think so. I have only tried to save a template once, and that was 4
or 5 years ago and has long since been deleted. After reading your response,
I did a search for files with the .dot extension and only found Normal.dot
and a few other default templates (such as Standard Fax.dot, Contemporary
Memo.dot, Professional Resume.dot, and Elegant Letter.dot), but nothing with
a file name that I recognized as having saved. The Date Modified for the
Normal.dot under my username showed 11/17/05 which is about the time I
remember creating the Headings toolbar, and the file size was quite a bit
larger than the Normal.dot files under the other users. With this in mind, I
tried renaming my Normal.dot so that Word would create a new Normal.dot file
in hopes that I could then recreate my Headings toolbar, but I still got the
message stated below. So, I deleted the new file and restored my old
Normal.dot. Any other ideas?

"Sarah Jane" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm at a loss, but only because I'm not as knowledgeable about this as some
others here. You might focus the discussion more, however, by posting in the
microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars newsgroup instead of this
one.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you perhaps save it in a specific template that is not currently

loaded?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sarah Jane" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sarah Jane

Is there a way to move or add this posting to the
microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars newsgroup, or do I need to
re-post? If there is a way to move or add this posting, would you please
tell me how?

"Sarah Jane" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, I should have cross-posted that last exchange; I'll do so now. It
might still be a good idea to repost there, however, since this thread has
perhaps become too long to expect anyone to backtrack on.

"Sarah Jane" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

I don't think there's any way to move a post, but ..

There is a built-in Command Bar called "Headings" (which pops up on right
click on heading styled text) so you cannot use that name for your own. Just
try another name and all should be fine.

--
Enjoy,
Tony