Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Zach[_2_] Zach[_2_] is offline

Default Task pane

How can I get rid of the task pane in Word.
I have used tools - customise - removed the V at task pane
But the task pane keeps on appearing.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well, you can't "remove" the task pane, but assuming you are talking about
Word 2002 or 2003 and the task pane you want to nobble is the Getting
Started pane, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm.
Note that in Word 2003 with the latest SPs applied, this will generate a SQL
warning, but once you have used the add-in, which edits the Registry, you
can uninstall it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Zach" wrote in message
How can I get rid of the task pane in Word.
I have used tools - customise - removed the V at task pane
But the task pane keeps on appearing.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Zach[_2_] Zach[_2_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, you can't "remove" the task pane, but assuming you are talking
about Word 2002 or 2003 and the task pane you want to nobble is the
Getting Started pane, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm. Note that in
Word 2003 with the latest SPs applied, this will generate a SQL warning,
but once you have used the add-in, which edits the Registry, you can
uninstall it.

How do I remove the SQL warning? I cannot find a reference in "programs
and features".

Zach

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As Terry says, run the macro in the add-in, then uninstall it. The reason it
triggers the warning is that the MVPs who created the add-in didn't realize
that the document they were basing it on was a mail merge main document.

http://word.mvps.org

"Zach" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, you can't "remove" the task pane, but assuming you are talking
about Word 2002 or 2003 and the task pane you want to nobble is the
Getting Started pane, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm. Note that in
Word 2003 with the latest SPs applied, this will generate a SQL warning,
but once you have used the add-in, which edits the Registry, you can
uninstall it.

How do I remove the SQL warning? I cannot find a reference in "programs
and features".

Zach

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Zach[_2_] Zach[_2_] is offline

"Zach" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, you can't "remove" the task pane, but assuming you are talking
about Word 2002 or 2003 and the task pane you want to nobble is the
Getting Started pane, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm. Note that
in Word 2003 with the latest SPs applied, this will generate a SQL
warning, but once you have used the add-in, which edits the Registry,
you can uninstall it.

How do I remove the SQL warning? I cannot find a reference in
"programs and features".

Zach

To uninstall it would need to be listed in programs and features,
however, it is not listed, so how do I uninstall? That was my
question. Kindly advise.

Zach
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It should be in Word's Startup folder, from which you can delete it. You can
determine the exact path from Tools | Templates and Add-ins.

http://word.mvps.org

"Zach" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, you can't "remove" the task pane, but assuming you are talking
about Word 2002 or 2003 and the task pane you want to nobble is the
Getting Started pane, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm. Note that in
Word 2003 with the latest SPs applied, this will generate a SQL
warning, but once you have used the add-in, which edits the Registry,
you can uninstall it.

How do I remove the SQL warning? I cannot find a reference in "programs
and features".

Zach

To uninstall it would need to be listed in programs and features,
however, it is not listed, so how do I uninstall? That was my
question. Kindly advise.

Zach

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You receive the "Opening this will run the following SQL command" message
when you open a Word mail merge main document that is linked to a data
source - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825765. See also the Word macro
to toggle the registry setting referred to in that link at
http://www.gmayor.com/word_vba_examples.htm#SQL.

Zach wrote:
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, you can't "remove" the task pane, but assuming you are talking
about Word 2002 or 2003 and the task pane you want to nobble is the
Getting Started pane, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm. Note that
in Word 2003 with the latest SPs applied, this will generate a SQL
warning, but once you have used the add-in, which edits the
Registry, you can uninstall it.

How do I remove the SQL warning? I cannot find a reference in
"programs and features".

Zach

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Zach[_2_] Zach[_2_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
It should be in Word's Startup folder, from which you can delete it. You
can determine the exact path from Tools | Templates and Add-ins.

I cannot find it anywhere.
Could you possibly give me more exact directions?
Else I will have to re-install Word,
having replaced one annoyance by another.

Many thanks.

Zach
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Uninstalling/reinstalling will not help. The add-in is installed in the Word
Start-up folder. The Start-up folder location will be found in Word Options
| Advanced | under File Locations at the bottom of the dialog. Unless the
location was deliberately changed, this will be in Program Files | Microsoft
Office | Office 12 | Startup.

Terry

"Zach" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
It should be in Word's Startup folder, from which you can delete it. You
can determine the exact path from Tools | Templates and Add-ins.

I cannot find it anywhere.
Could you possibly give me more exact directions?
Else I will have to re-install Word,
having replaced one annoyance by another.

Many thanks.

Zach

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Zach[_2_] Zach[_2_] is offline

"Zach" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
It should be in Word's Startup folder, from which you can delete it.
You can determine the exact path from Tools | Templates and Add-ins.

I cannot find it anywhere.
Could you possibly give me more exact directions?
Else I will have to re-install Word,
having replaced one annoyance by another.

Many thanks.

Zach

I am using Vista Business Edition by the way,
maybe I should have said earlier.

Startup is empty.

I have reinstaled Microsoft Office XP Business Edition.
The annoying message has gone, but the hack is still there.
Presumably the register was been changed, but strangely
a System Restore did not reinstate the previous settings,
and did not remove the hack either.
So as far as I can ascertain the problem has now been solved.

(hopefully permanently)

Zach
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Reinstalling does not change the Registry, but it should also not have
uninstalled the add-in. If the add-in is actually in the Office Startup
folder (path given by Terry), then you won't find it in the Word Startup
folder. The path given for it in Tools | Templates and Add-ins on my
machine, however, is C:\...\microsoft\word\startup\TaskPaneController.d ot.
You should certainly be able to use Windows Search to search for
TaskPaneController.dot.

http://word.mvps.org

"Zach" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Zach[_2_] Zach[_2_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Reinstalling does not change the Registry, but it should also not have
uninstalled the add-in. If the add-in is actually in the Office Startup
folder (path given by Terry), then you won't find it in the Word Startup
folder. The path given for it in Tools | Templates and Add-ins on my
machine, however, is
C:\...\microsoft\word\startup\TaskPaneController.d ot. You should
certainly be able to use Windows Search to search for
TaskPaneController.dot.

This is where it is:

Program Files\Task Pane Controller Files\TaskPaneController.dot

(1.) I have done a system restore.

(2.) I have reinstalled Word. The message hss gone, the function (Task
Pane Controller) remains.

(3.) The dot file is still in place.

Zach.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I may well have moved mine at some point, but I don't think so. Even though
you're seeing the installer files in Program Files, you might still have the
..dot file in Word Startup. You could certainly delete the whole shooting
match from Program Files, but if everything is working to your satisfaction,
then there is no need to pursue it further.

http://word.mvps.org

"Zach" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Reinstalling does not change the Registry, but it should also not have
uninstalled the add-in. If the add-in is actually in the Office Startup
folder (path given by Terry), then you won't find it in the Word Startup
folder. The path given for it in Tools | Templates and Add-ins on my
machine, however, is
C:\...\microsoft\word\startup\TaskPaneController.d ot. You should
certainly be able to use Windows Search to search for
TaskPaneController.dot.

This is where it is:

Program Files\Task Pane Controller Files\TaskPaneController.dot

(1.) I have done a system restore.

(2.) I have reinstalled Word. The message hss gone, the function (Task
Pane Controller) remains.

(3.) The dot file is still in place.

Zach.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Zach[_2_] Zach[_2_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I may well have moved mine at some point, but I don't think so. Even
though you're seeing the installer files in Program Files, you might
still have the .dot file in Word Startup. You could certainly delete the
whole shooting match from Program Files, but if everything is working to
your satisfaction, then there is no need to pursue it further.

Since Word is performing ok, I will leave things as they are.
The task pane option is working alright.
Thank you for your much appreciated assistance,
Zach.
www.thinkbones.com