Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2002/XP sometimes freezes when opening in "My Documents"

Hello.

I have a client who is having problems with his MS Word 2002/XP (all
updates from MS Updates) that likes to freeze (not responding and has to
be killed) when opening files (open dialog) in Windows 2000 SP4 (all
updates).

Any ideas why? Thank you in advance.
--
"Ants never lend, ants never borrow." --unknown
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Usually a corrupt normal.dot or corrupt/missing printer driver. But try the
FAQ for detailed help:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Ant" wrote in message
Hello.

I have a client who is having problems with his MS Word 2002/XP (all
updates from MS Updates) that likes to freeze (not responding and has to
be killed) when opening files (open dialog) in Windows 2000 SP4 (all
updates).

Any ideas why? Thank you in advance.
--
"Ants never lend, ants never borrow." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

On 7/10/2009 12:50 AM PT, Terry Farrell typed:

Usually a corrupt normal.dot or corrupt/missing printer driver. But try
the FAQ for detailed help:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm

He doesn't have problems opening Word. He has problems with Word's open
document feature/option (open dialog box).
--
"In every enemy that is an ant, behold an elephant." --Turkish
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Well the FAQ covers problems that match that too.

So he can open Word to its blank document, edit and then save it. But he
cannot open existing docs?

Which AV is being used?

What happens when opening in Safe Mode? From Start | Run, type in

winword /a

and press Enter. Now try File | Open. Does it still freeze?

If it still freezes in Safe Mode, delete and reinstall the printer driver -
first making sure it is the latest printer driver from the manufacturer's
support site.

Terry

"Ant" wrote in message
On 7/10/2009 12:50 AM PT, Terry Farrell typed:

Usually a corrupt normal.dot or corrupt/missing printer driver. But try
the FAQ for detailed help:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm

He doesn't have problems opening Word. He has problems with Word's open
document feature/option (open dialog box).
--
"In every enemy that is an ant, behold an elephant." --Turkish
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

OK, I will try them later. He's using old Norton AntiVirus Corporate
Edition v7.6... with the latest weekly Wednesday definitions. Yes, he
can start a blank new document. Also, opening documents via Windows
Explorer is fine. It is not always reproducable and pretty much random
(even after the hang and restart, it opens fine then). Winword.exe's CPU
usage goes to 100% when stuck.

Also, I noticed he has over 1,100 files (not just *.doc) in my My
Documents (not including subfolders/subdirectories)! Wow. I wonder if
that's the problem.

His printer is an old HP LaserJet 6P (parallel) and Office Jet 6100
series (USB) with the latest drivers that exist.

On 7/10/2009 7:35 AM PT, Terry Farrell typed:

[...]

"The ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the wind. The ant, sir, is
blowin' in the wind." --the misheard lyrics to Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in
the Wind
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While he could do with some housekeeping on his folder structure - the
Office Plug-in for Norton AV has been notorious over the years and should be
switched off.

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run e.g.

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Change the path as appropriate.

Ant wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

This isn't the consumer NAV. It is the corporate edition. I can't find
the option to remove it from MS Office programs.

On 7/10/2009 10:10 PM PT, Graham Mayor typed:

While he could do with some housekeeping on his folder structure - the
Office Plug-in for Norton AV has been notorious over the years and should be
switched off.

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run e.g.

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Change the path as appropriate.

--
"Now I have you where I want you... where is my jar of Bull ants?" --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

I don't think this Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (NAVCE) has an
Office plug-in like the consumer NAV. I even searched its help for
"Office" and nothing came up. It does mentions MS Exchange though.

On 7/11/2009 1:29 AM PT, Terry Farrell typed:

The NAV Office Plug-in advanced option is the obvious contender.

--
"Whoops, there goes another ambulance ant." --Seymour and Pepe (Rick
Moranis episode from The Muppets)
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

Also, I don't think this Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (NAVCE) has
a MS Office plug-in like the consumer NAV. I even searched its help for
"Office" and nothing came up. It does mentions MS Exchange though.

On 7/11/2009 2:43 PM PT, Ant typed:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers

If Norton AV was installed at one time then the DLL for the Office
Plug-in could still be registered.

Search for : officeav.dll

If you find it then go to Start/Run and run the following command:

regsvr32 /u "path\officeav.dll"

Here is a KB article that provides a few additional details. It does
not include information on Norton CE but it will contain additional
details on the unregister command if you need them:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820

http://word.mvps.org

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

Not found. Remember, it is not opening the documents. It is the open
dialog box that hangs.

On 7/11/2009 5:07 PM PT, Suzanne S. Barnhill typed:

If Norton AV was installed at one time then the DLL for the Office
Plug-in could still be registered.

Search for : officeav.dll

If you find it then go to Start/Run and run the following command:

regsvr32 /u "path\officeav.dll"

Here is a KB article that provides a few additional details. It does
not include information on Norton CE but it will contain additional
details on the unregister command if you need them:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820

--
"You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: Freemasons feat.
Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Heartbreak Make Me A Dancer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If it is just the File | Open dialog box hanging (presumably, File | SaveAs
is the same), it is usually due to a bad mapped drive or other problem
object in the Windows Explorer setup.

Terry

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

So far I haven't noted if this occurs when working in Word Safe Mode. To
start Word in Safe Mode, hold Ctrl while starting Word and continue holding
Ctrl until prompted to start in Safe Mode.

Additionally, what is set as the default printer? Is it a local printer or
network printer? When you open a file Word queries the printer driver. If
the connection to the network is intermittent then that could cause a hang.

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Ant" wrote in message
I don't think this Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (NAVCE) has an
Office plug-in like the consumer NAV. I even searched its help for
"Office" and nothing came up. It does mentions MS Exchange though.

On 7/11/2009 1:29 AM PT, Terry Farrell typed:

The NAV Office Plug-in advanced option is the obvious contender.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

Hmm, I need to try save as since I only did Open. I did not see any
mapped drives. There's A: (3.5" disk), C: (HDD), D: (CD burner drive),
and E: (zip drive = never use these days since USB Flash stick/drives
are reliable -- but have seen the frozen problem without them
connected). A: to E: drives are internal devices.

On 7/12/2009 1:31 AM PT, Terry Farrell typed:

"Ant" wrote in message
Not found. Remember, it is not opening the documents. It is the
open dialog box that hangs.

On 7/11/2009 5:07 PM PT, Suzanne S. Barnhill typed:

If Norton AV was installed at one time then the DLL for the Office
Plug-in could still be registered.

Search for : officeav.dll

If you find it then go to Start/Run and run the following command:

regsvr32 /u "path\officeav.dll"

Here is a KB article that provides a few additional details. It does
not include information on Norton CE but it will contain additional
details on the unregister command if you need them:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820

--
"Look at them, fighting like ants. The fate's waiting them." --Kane in
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

Local HP LaserJet 6P on LPT1 parallel. Will try safe mode and file open.

On 7/12/2009 8:27 AM PT, Beth Melton typed:

So far I haven't noted if this occurs when working in Word Safe Mode. To
start Word in Safe Mode, hold Ctrl while starting Word and continue
holding Ctrl until prompted to start in Safe Mode.

Additionally, what is set as the default printer? Is it a local printer
or network printer? When you open a file Word queries the printer
driver. If the connection to the network is intermittent then that could
cause a hang.

--
"Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for
mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the other?" --Juang-zu (4th
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

Yeah, I forgot to try that. I will try it later. Thanks.

On 7/12/2009 10:09 AM PT, Terry Farrell typed:

Good point Beth: I did ask to test in Safe Mode but then forgot to
follow up.

So far I haven't noted if this occurs when working in Word Safe Mode.
To start Word in Safe Mode, hold Ctrl while starting Word and continue
holding Ctrl until prompted to start in Safe Mode.

--
"The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But
the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

On 7/12/2009 8:27 AM PT, Beth Melton typed:

So far I haven't noted if this occurs when working in Word Safe Mode. To
start Word in Safe Mode, hold Ctrl while starting Word and continue
holding Ctrl until prompted to start in Safe Mode.

I cannot seem to reproduce this in safe mode and normal modes. I will
keep trying later on. Remember, the hang/freeze issue is random.
--
"Better (to be) an ant's head than a lion's tail." --Armenian and Maltese
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_3_] Ant[_3_] is offline

I cannot seem to reproduce this with file's open and save as so far. I
will keep trying later on. Remember, the hang/freeze issue is random.

On 7/12/2009 1:31 AM PT, Terry Farrell typed:

If it is just the File | Open dialog box hanging (presumably, File |
SaveAs is the same), it is usually due to a bad mapped drive or other
problem object in the Windows Explorer setup.

--
"... Here's intelligent things, and it seems they want us for food.
First, they'll smash us up -- ships, machines, guns, cities, all the
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

"... Here's intelligent things, and it seems they want us for food.
First, they'll smash us up -- ships, machines, guns, cities, all the
order and organisation. All that will go. If we were the size of ants we
might pull through. But we're not. It's all too bulky to stop. That's
the first certainty." Eh? ..." --H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @
http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You might try the Process Explorer available for download he

The only drawback to this is you'd need to leave it running and the moment
it hangs, switch to the Process Explorer and stop it. The result will be a
large amount of data. But what you'd need to look for is that occurred
immediately (or near) the hang. You can create filters to help narrow down
the amount of data you'll be viewing but it could still involve some time to
review the results.

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Ant" wrote in message
On 7/12/2009 8:27 AM PT, Beth Melton typed:

So far I haven't noted if this occurs when working in Word Safe Mode. To
start Word in Safe Mode, hold Ctrl while starting Word and continue
holding Ctrl until prompted to start in Safe Mode.

I cannot seem to reproduce this in safe mode and normal modes. I will keep
trying later on. Remember, the hang/freeze issue is random.
--
"Better (to be) an ant's head than a lion's tail." --Armenian and Maltese
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

So far I haven't noted if this occurs when working in Word Safe Mode.
To start Word in Safe Mode, hold Ctrl while starting Word and
continue holding Ctrl until prompted to start in Safe Mode.

I cannot seem to reproduce this in safe mode and normal modes. I will
keep trying later on. Remember, the hang/freeze issue is random.

I finally reproduced it. It also freezes/hangs in Word's safe mode. I
think I am starting to notice a pattern. It seems to happen when Windows
2000 SP4 session is new (low uptime).

As for Process Explorer, I tried to do it but couldn't reproduce the
issue because the problem went away by itself after a minute or two. I
did see winword.exe hogging 99% of the CPU. Grr!
--
"The constant creeping of ants will wear away the stone." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ant[_2_] Ant[_2_] is offline

On 7/18/2009 11:38 AM PT, Ant typed:

I finally reproduced it. It also freezes/hangs in Word's safe mode. I
think I am starting to notice a pattern. It seems to happen when Windows
2000 SP4 session is new (low uptime).

Hmm, nope. Not low uptime since the session was a few hours old. Maybe
new session for Word of the current Windows session?

As for Process Explorer, I tried to do it but couldn't reproduce the
issue because the problem went away by itself after a minute or two. I
did see winword.exe hogging 99% of the CPU. Grr!

It seems like the free/hang lasts a couple minutes if I wait long enough.
--
"... Hey. Could we do that again? I know we haven't met, but I don't
want to be an ant. You know? I mean, it's like we go through life with
our antennae bouncing off one another, continously on ant autopilot,
with nothing really human required of us. 'Stop.' 'Go.' 'Walk here.'
'Drive there.' All action basically for survival. All communication
simply to keep this ant colony buzzing along in an efficient, polite
manner. 'Here's your change.' 'Paper or plastic?' 'Credit or debit?"'
'You want ketchup with that' I don't want a straw. I want real human
moments. I want to see you. I want you to see me. I don't want to give
that up. I don't want to be ant, you know?" "Yeah... yeah I know. I
don't want to be an ant either. Thanks for kinda, like, josteling me
there... I've been kinda on zombie autopilot lately. I don't feel like
an ant in my head, but I guess I probably look like one..." --Waking
Life movie.
/\___/\