Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glynis Glynis is offline

Default How do I stop a new document opening up in header and footer mode

All of a sudden, every time I open a new document in Word it comes up ready
to edit in the header section - i.e. in the very top margin outside of the
text typing area. I have to hit Control-View-Header and Footer then do it
again to get me out of it. I have made sure the normal.dot template is not
set that way. Anyone else have this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Are you sure you are in the header?

Could it be the you accidentally clicked the space between two pages so that
the setting "White space between pages" has been turned off. See:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Glynis" wrote:

All of a sudden, every time I open a new document in Word it comes up ready
to edit in the header section - i.e. in the very top margin outside of the
text typing area. I have to hit Control-View-Header and Footer then do it
again to get me out of it. I have made sure the normal.dot template is not
set that way. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:25:54 -0700, Glynis
wrote:

All of a sudden, every time I open a new document in Word it comes up ready
to edit in the header section - i.e. in the very top margin outside of the
text typing area. I have to hit Control-View-Header and Footer then do it
again to get me out of it. I have made sure the normal.dot template is not
set that way. Anyone else have this problem?

It isn't really in the header area to start with; it's just that you've
unintentionally turned on a feature that hides the headers, footers, and spaces
between pages to make it easier to read a multipage document.

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm for illustrated
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

You are not ready to edit the header at all; View Header takes you there.

Select Tools Options View tab and check the box for "white space between
pages"

--
Enjoy,
Tony