kaycee96

Default TOC Changing page orientation with out interfering with Set TOC

I am having trouble changing the page orientation to landscape in a set TOC
Stefan Blom

What exactly is the problem? If the page numbers don't align properly,
you can drag the tab stop to the desired location. It should be
sufficient to do this once for each level (because the TOC styles are
set to update automatically, by default).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaycee96" wrote in message
I am having trouble changing the page orientation to landscape in a

set TOC

Stefan Blom

But note that it might be easier than modifying tab stops. First try
to update the TOC: Either right-click it and choose "Update field" or
place the cursor inside it and press F9. Make sure that you select to
update the entire table, if prompted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaycee96" wrote in message
I am having trouble changing the page orientation to landscape in

set TOC

Stefan Blom

In my experience, Word sometimes does this (unless of course you have
explicitly modified the tab stops). It could be a version issue, I guess.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaycee96" wrote in message
I am having trouble changing the page orientation to landscape in

set TOC

"Sometimes" isn't really reliable, is it? g I don't have enough experience
to be dogmatic about this, but my recollection is that it's never happened
for me, and I don't usually "bother" the automatic tab stop. But I certainly
won't question your experience, which is probably broader than mine.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'd think that would work, but IME Word never moves the tab stop even

if
you have changed the margins.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"kaycee96" wrote in message
I am having trouble changing the page orientation to landscape in
set TOC

Update: I have just had an experience on the basis of which I am prepared to
offer a tentative analysis of this behavior. I had a document with 1" left
and right margins and a TOC. I changed the L and R margins to 1.25". The TOC
now extended half an inch into the right margin. I updated the entire table,
and the tab setting in the TOC 2 and TOC 3 paragraphs was updated. They were
in their default format. In TOC 1, which I had modified (by bolding it--not
by moving the tab stop), the tab setting was not updated. So it would appear
that *any* modification to the style will prevent the tab setting from being
updated.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
"Sometimes" isn't really reliable, is it? g I don't have enough

experience
to be dogmatic about this, but my recollection is that it's never happened
for me, and I don't usually "bother" the automatic tab stop. But I

certainly
won't question your experience, which is probably broader than mine.

so
all may benefit.

"kaycee96" wrote in message
I am having trouble changing the page orientation to landscape

in
set TOC

Stefan Blom

Thank you for the insight. That certainly explains why, in my
experience, updating the TOC "sometimes" makes the right-aligned tab
stop adjust to page margins!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'd think that would work, but IME Word never moves the tab

stop
even
if
you have changed the margins.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Yes, and to further clarify, in addition to bolding TOC 1, I later realized
I had added some Space Before. So it's possible that font formatting alone
would not prevent the tab stop from being updated, but paragraph formatting
would. Testing would be required to determine what changes, if any, can be
made without affecting the "elasticity" of the style.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Stefan Blom

At least changing to italic, bold, underline, and a different font
size can be done without "locking" the tab stop.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

That's good news, but kind of perverse. Styles define many settings,
including font, tab settings, and paragraph settings. But tabs aren't part
of paragraph formatting per se (that is, they're not set in the Format
Paragraph dialog), so it's no more reasonable for a change in Space
Before/After to affect tabs than for a change in font to do so.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Stefan Blom

I agree completely. Since "flexible" tab stops exist only for tables
of contents, they should be independent of paragraph formatting.

The obvious exception would be when you've explicitly set tab stops
for a TOC style. Then you certainly don't want Word to automatically
adjust them. (Of course, the application wouldn't know which tab stop
to adjust, either, if there were several of them.)

Things would be easier if Word also allowed for tab stops to be set
relative to the right margin. Then there would be no need for the
"flexible" tab stops.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Stefan Blom

Use the \w switch?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in

message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'd think that would work, but IME Word never

moves
the
tab
stop
even
if
you have changed the margins.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all

follow-ups
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in

message
[...]

This does work (IIRC), but it requires a tab character in the heading
itself, which can be a problem in centered headings. I think that when I
want a classy-looking TOC I usually end up just unlinking the field and
doing the last bit of formatting by hand.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Changing Page #'s in footers Rick Page Layout 1 March 15th 05 10:33 PM
Changing page #'s in footers Rick Microsoft Word Help 3 March 15th 05 08:47 PM
Changing Page layout Rhino Page Layout 1 February 9th 05 05:47 PM
Changing word to show more than 1 page while in edit mode? latergatorj Page Layout 1 November 30th 04 07:09 PM