Joelle

Default Characters appear as squares

While browsing through some of my older documents I have discovered that a
large majority of them have changed...

When the Word documents are opened, all the characters appear as little
empty squares.

And in the NotePad documents, the characters are "invisible".

Is it possible that these files might have become corrupted? If so, is there
any way of salvaging them?

All these documents were created in standard fonts and I am currently using
Office 2000 Premium.

Thanks for any help.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

It could be that you no longer have some of the fonts used in the older Word
docs. I don't understand what you mean by characters in Notepad being
invisible. Can you explain that differently?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Joelle" wrote in message
While browsing through some of my older documents I have discovered that a
large majority of them have changed...

When the Word documents are opened, all the characters appear as little
empty squares.

And in the NotePad documents, the characters are "invisible".

Is it possible that these files might have become corrupted? If so, is
there
any way of salvaging them?

All these documents were created in standard fonts and I am currently
using
Office 2000 Premium.

Thanks for any help.

Joelle

The NotePad document characters appear the same way opened in WordPad as they
do in Word; those small squares. I suppose that "square" character isn't
recognizable in NotePad so it shows up as a blank space: invisible but
selectable.

As for the older fonts; most of the documents were typed in Times New Roman
or Arial. So I don't understand how they might not be recognizable... Are
there different variations of each font depending on the version of Office
used?

Thanks again for your help.

"Joelle" wrote in message
While browsing through some of my older documents I have discovered that a
large majority of them have changed...

When the Word documents are opened, all the characters appear as little
empty squares.

And in the NotePad documents, the characters are "invisible".

Is it possible that these files might have become corrupted? If so, is
there
any way of salvaging them?

All these documents were created in standard fonts and I am currently
using
Office 2000 Premium.

Thanks for any help.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Can you send that file to me? Let me see if I get the same results as you
do. If you want to take me up on the offer, send it to jl dot paules at
gmail dot com.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Joelle" wrote in message
While browsing through some of my older documents I have discovered
that a
large majority of them have changed...

When the Word documents are opened, all the characters appear as little
empty squares.

And in the NotePad documents, the characters are "invisible".

Is it possible that these files might have become corrupted? If so, is
there
any way of salvaging them?

All these documents were created in standard fonts and I am currently
using
Office 2000 Premium.

Thanks for any help.

Glenn

I have a very similar situation when inserting notepad text into word as part
of our application. On some macines (various versions of word) the carriage
return is treated as a Paragraph plus an unprintable character displayed as
an empty square.

This might be a CRLF interpretation, an old word problem, or some font
issue. Anybody got a solution to this.
--
Glenn