Posted to microsoft.public.word.mail,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
David Knight

Default INCLUDE PICTURE with MERGE FIELD

I have something strange going on with a Word/Access 2003 mail merge. I am
using the INCLUDEPICTURE command in order to add a unique signature to the
end of a letter, based on a Path and FileName stored in my database. Here
is what appears in my Word file:

{ INCLUDEPICTURE "{MERGEFIELD SignatureFileName }" /* MERGEFORMAT}

When I click on SAVE in Word - it replaces my merge field with the actual
database value from the record I am on. So after saving, it reads:

{ INCLUDEPICTURE "C://FolderName//DFKSig.bmp" /* MERGEFORMAT}

Of course, when I run Merge to New Document - all the signatures are the
same. If I manually remove the ""C://FolderName//DFKSig.bmp"" and replace
it with the MERGEFIELD - then run the letters it works. But if I save, it
puts the "C://FolderName//DFKSig.bmp" back in. So, I have to do this manual
step each time.

I have seen tons of posts here about merging images, and have followed all
the instructions.

Why would clicking SAVE change what I just did? Please help. thanks!!!

David Knight
RoundTable Solutions

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mail,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

All you may need to do is update the fields in the new document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"David Knight" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mail,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
David Knight

Not sure what you mean? Once the merge to new document is done, we do
CTRL-A and F9 to pull in the graphics. But since the file names from the
database aren't being used - all the images are the same.

The problem is that the merge field will not save. When I click save you
can actually see the "{MERGEFIELD SignatureFileName }" change to
"C://FolderName//DFKSig.bmp" before your eyes.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mail,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

What do you actually have in the fields in the database?

C://FolderName//DFKSig.bmp

or

C:\\FolderName\\DFKSig.bmp?

It should be the latter.

What happens if you execute the merge BEFORE saving the main document.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mail,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
David Knight

Here's an example of a database value:
C:\\DealershipFU\\Signatures\\Sig_PaulRMichelli.bm p
I think it is correct.

If we open the file, remove the hard-coded path and file name, insert the
merge field and then execute the merge - it works. But as soon as we save,
Word erases the merge field and inserts a hard-coded value.

This worked perfect in Word 2000 - this problem has cropped up since
converting to Word 2003.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mail,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
David Knight

Attached is a copy of the Word 2003 file in question.

[...]

Attached Files
File Type: doc NCsp30daythanks_pscd.doc (30.5 KB, 113 views)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mail,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Please do not post attachments!

Are you sure you really want to send this nauseating message out to your
customers? If you want to make an impression, leave a bunch of flowers (or a
cleaning kit or service voucher) in the new car with a note that says
"Thanks for buying from us" - and leave it at that. Your customers will
remember good service far more appreciatively than grovelling letters.

That aside, the document should really have been prepared as a two column
bordeless table, to avoid all those empty paragraphs, and you might want to
change that Time field for a Createdate field.

Obviously you did not supply the data file nor the signature files so it is
impossible to reproduce your conditions, but when I changed the field here
and saved the document, the fields remained as I had inserted them.

Take a look at http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

David Knight wrote:
[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.