Amedee Van Gasse

Default page header on first page and sections from copied document

SUMMARY:

Normal typing:
First page: page header with company logo
Second page: no logo
All printed on the same paper tray
Copy/pasting:
First page: no logo, printed on tray 1
TF

Amedee

The problem is that H&F content is stored in the paragraph mark at the end
of each section and/or end of document. The only way to avoid bring in the
H&Fs is to select all but the final section breaks. I would suggest that you
first try a test to see if copying all but the final paragraph mark, then
copy/paste resolves the problem. I usually do this by using Control+End,
then Control+Shift+Home (which selects all but the final paragraph mark) and
ten copy/paste to the new template. If that works, then a macro solution
will be VERY easy!

If it still messes with the H&Fs, then I suggest that you try one of the
Word.VBA Newsgroups where the VBA gurus will probably have a solution. My
guess is that you may need to create a macro that will copy/paste to the new
document and then add the H&Fs.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
: SUMMARY:
:
[...]
: --
: Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Amedee,

You've provided so much help here, I didn't want you to go without an
answer, even though I'm not certain I can provide you with one you can use
:-)

I'm not completely understanding WHY the users are copying text, with
section breaks, from another document. It sounds like all they want is
some boiler-plate text? How about putting the text into AutoText entries?
And create the AutoText entries from within your template, including a
section break YOU'VE inserted, so that it has the correct header/footer
information?

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Amedee Van Gasse

Cindy M -WordMVP- shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Hi Amedee,

You've provided so much help here, I didn't want you to go without an
answer, even though I'm not certain I can provide you with one you
can use :-)

I'm not completely understanding WHY the users are copying text, with
section breaks, from another document.

Neither do I. The Sales Department Moves In Mysterious Ways(tm), and I
have given up trying to fathom their motives.

It sounds like all they want is some boiler-plate text? How about
putting the text into AutoText entries? And create the AutoText
entries from within your template, including a section break YOU'VE
inserted, so that it has the correct header/footer information?

That sounds like a good suggestion. The documents I have seen so far
are maintenance contracts and quotations. That is like 10 pages that
are almost always the same and some places with "fill in name of
customer here".
However I fear AutoText might be a "too smart" way of working. These
are people that are used to copy parts of old documents to new
documents (with obvious mistakes as a result, like wrong prices or old
system requirements). Even the concept of templates was already
something very abstract to them.

I solved it sort of like Terry suggested. I asked around in one of the
VBA groups. Someone suggested to replace the default EditPaste with my
own, and I refined this a bit further:

Sub EditPaste()
Dim wdTemp As Word.Document, rng As Word.Range
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Set rng = Selection.Range
Set wdTemp = Documents.Add(Visible:=False)
wdTemp.Content.Paste
With wdTemp.Content.Find
.ClearFormatting
.Text = "^b"
With .Replacement
.Text = "^m"
.ClearFormatting
End With
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
wdTemp.Content.Copy
wdTemp.Close Savechanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
rng.Paste
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

This macro replaces all section ends with page breaks in the pasted
selection.

The advantage is that this method is completely transparent to the
end-users: they don't have to change the way the are working.

--
Amedee Van Gasse
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Amedee,

I solved it sort of like Terry suggested. I asked around in one of the
VBA groups. Someone suggested to replace the default EditPaste with my
own, and I refined this a bit further:

Glad you're on the way to a solution :-)

Cindy Meister