Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Default page, sec and page of page, word 2003 isn't updating in normal vie

Hi,

I had office 2000 and updated to office 2003. Now in word, in normal view,
the task bar at the bottom that shows page, sec and page of page, isn't
updating. I have to change to print layout view to have the three fields
update themselfs with info. then as I'm writting and adding more pages, while
back in normal view (the view I prefer) it doesn't update, in fact sometimes
the infor will disapear, I have to swithch back to print layout to have those
fields show up and or update.

I've installed all the updates as of 04.27.08 but still not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Default page, sec and page of page, word 2003 isn't updating in normal

Im definitely in normal view, like I said, I have to keep switching back
from print view to normal to have it refresh.

Since office 2000 worked and all I did was an upgrade to 2003, Id assume
that Background repagination is by default turned on, but who knows.

I didnt know it could be turned off, where do I turn it on?

Thanks Suzanne

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

I had office 2000 and updated to office 2003. Now in word, in normal view,
the task bar at the bottom that shows page, sec and page of page, isn't
updating. I have to change to print layout view to have the three fields
update themselfs with info. then as I'm writting and adding more pages,
while
back in normal view (the view I prefer) it doesn't update, in fact
sometimes
the infor will disapear, I have to swithch back to print layout to have
those
fields show up and or update.

I've installed all the updates as of 04.27.08 but still not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Tools | Options | General. Ordinarily, switching to Print Layout view turns
it on, and you would have to manually turn it back off. But if your document
is especially complex and/or your processing power limited, I wouldn't put
it past Word to take it upon itself to switch if off (it does do this with
picture placeholders).

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

I had office 2000 and updated to office 2003. Now in word, in normal
view,
the task bar at the bottom that shows page, sec and page of page, isn't
updating. I have to change to print layout view to have the three
fields
update themselfs with info. then as I'm writting and adding more pages,
while
back in normal view (the view I prefer) it doesn't update, in fact
sometimes
the infor will disapear, I have to swithch back to print layout to have
those
fields show up and or update.

I've installed all the updates as of 04.27.08 but still not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

The computer is at home, Ill take a look tonight, but I did some tests here
at work and was able to duplicate the condition by turning it off, so its a
good bet that its turned off at home.

Ill take a look and thanks again.

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

I had office 2000 and updated to office 2003. Now in word, in normal
view,
the task bar at the bottom that shows page, sec and page of page, isn't
updating. I have to change to print layout view to have the three
fields
update themselfs with info. then as I'm writting and adding more pages,
while
back in normal view (the view I prefer) it doesn't update, in fact
sometimes
the infor will disapear, I have to swithch back to print layout to have
those
fields show up and or update.

I've installed all the updates as of 04.27.08 but still not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

I checked and found that Background repagination wasnt check. I checked it
and everythings ok. I was planning on doing a repair, then a full uninstall
and reinstall. You saved me a lot of work, thanks Suzanne for the help.

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

I had office 2000 and updated to office 2003. Now in word, in normal
view,
the task bar at the bottom that shows page, sec and page of page, isn't
updating. I have to change to print layout view to have the three
fields
update themselfs with info. then as I'm writting and adding more pages,
while
back in normal view (the view I prefer) it doesn't update, in fact
sometimes
the infor will disapear, I have to swithch back to print layout to have
those
fields show up and or update.

I've installed all the updates as of 04.27.08 but still not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm really curious, though, about why it was unchecked because that
particular state is really very unstable. That is, as soon as you switch to
Print Layout view, the box becomes and remains checked, so I can't imagine
that you would find it unchecked if you had previously switched to Print
Layout view. If Word is clearing the check box on its own, I'd wonder why.

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In my experience, the state (on or off) for the background repagination is
tied to the view. In other words, if you clear the option in Normal view,
you can switch to Print Layout view (which forces a repagination) and then
switch back to Normal view and the setting will be cleared again.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I guess I hadn't tried it very often, but I didn't think that was my
experience. It may be that this was changed between versions because I am
now seeing what you describe: if I disable it in Normal view and switch to
Print Layout view, it is checked but dimmed, and switching back to Normal
view unchecks it again. So this would in fact be the explanation for the
OP's problem. The mystery as to how it became unchecked in the first place
remains, however.