Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
havenlad

Default WHow can i find the default saving folder for Word?

A user has received a word attachment and has altered it, saved it without
using save as and closed word. They cant remember where it went, although I
believe its My docs, temp internet files, random folder but he cant access
that folder on his pc (come to think of it, I cant access it on mine). How
does he search for the file and why cant he see the folder?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Davis

If the user can remember a bit of the file name, or a couple of words that
were changed, Start Search filename *.doc containing: couple of words.
"havenlad" wrote in message
A user has received a word attachment and has altered it, saved it without
using save as and closed word. They can't remember where it went,
although I
believe its My docs, temp internet files, random folder but he can't
access
that folder on his pc (come to think of it, I can't access it on mine).
How
does he search for the file and why can't he see the folder?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?aGF2ZW5sYWQ=?=,

A user has received a word attachment and has altered it, saved it without
using save as and closed word. They cant remember where it went, although I
believe its My docs, temp internet files, random folder but he cant access
that folder on his pc (come to think of it, I cant access it on mine). How
does he search for the file and why cant he see the folder?

My husband used to do this all the time; lost HOURS of work. He finally learned he
has to use File/Save As with an attachment, or save it to disk before opening.

In order to get to these folders, I believe you have to enter the folder name into
the Address Bar manually, then press ENTER.

(I found that out when dealing with problems in Excel XML files, generated outside
of Excel. Excel would show an error message with the temp folder path where it put
the error log, but I had to type it in to open and view the log.)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
havenlad

"Thanks Cindy

The problem is there's a bit of a catastrophic chain of events that could
make a grown man cry:

He opened the file, deleted the e-mail (which he now can't find - think he
is autoarchiving a bit too early), changed the document, saved it without
save as ie kept the old file name, forgot the old file name and now has no
idea of the temp internet folder nor the file name. He didn't call back so i
guess he must have used initiative and asked for the sender to tell him the
file name and then search his local drive. I may ask the question on the XP
newsgroup as it's a real head scratcher.

Thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?aGF2ZW5sYWQ=?=,

I may ask the question on the XP
newsgroup as it's a real head scratcher.

Or, if you email program is Outlook, ask in an Outlook
group. They may have an idea where email attachments would
default to in the TEMP folder area.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gitche Gumee

To find attached files:

Start menu | Run

type "%temp%" - Click OK

This opens a Windows Explorer window.

Click the Folders icon on the toolbar.

Click the + next to the Temporary Internet Files folder.

You'll see the OLK folder listed. Outlook attachments are stored there.

But...if the email has been deleted, the attachment file is deleted too.

"havenlad" wrote:

"Thanks Cindy

The problem is there's a bit of a catastrophic chain of events that could
make a grown man cry:

He opened the file, deleted the e-mail (which he now can't find - think he
is autoarchiving a bit too early), changed the document, saved it without
save as ie kept the old file name, forgot the old file name and now has no
idea of the temp internet folder nor the file name. He didn't call back so i
guess he must have used initiative and asked for the sender to tell him the
file name and then search his local drive. I may ask the question on the XP
newsgroup as it's a real head scratcher.

Thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George A. Yorks

My wife tried to save an attachment, word document, using save as. Was saved
in a folder #Q7ynatyr. How to find this folder.
--
George

"havenlad" wrote in message
A user has received a word attachment and has altered it, saved it without
using save as and closed word. They can't remember where it went,
although I
believe its My docs, temp internet files, random folder but he can't
access
that folder on his pc (come to think of it, I can't access it on mine).
How
does he search for the file and why can't he see the folder?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George A. Yorks

See where chuck Davis replied to my message but can not locate the reply.
Could you send it again
--
George

"havenlad" wrote in message
A user has received a word attachment and has altered it, saved it without
using save as and closed word. They can't remember where it went,
although I
believe its My docs, temp internet files, random folder but he can't
access
that folder on his pc (come to think of it, I can't access it on mine).
How
does he search for the file and why can't he see the folder?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi George,

The normal default save folder for new Word documents is listed in Tools=Options=File locations.

For the folder name you listed, that would likely be an Internet Explorer temporary file storage folder. That behavior might happen
if you opened an email attachment without first saving the attachment to your disk.

If your Internet Explorer temporary files have been cleared the file is likely gone. You can check in Internet Explorer through
Tools=Internet Options=general=
Temporary Internet Files=Settings=View files
to review what is there.

You may also be able to find it using Start=Search if you know the file name.

========
"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message ...
My wife tried to save an attachment, word document, using save as. Was saved
in a folder #Q7ynatyr. How to find this folder.
--
George
--
I hope this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS for the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie
the 2007 Microsoft Office system iinfo is at
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the 2007 OfficeOnline website without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033
b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George A. Yorks

Thanks for the reply. While the document sved was an attachment to an e-mail
it was modified in ms word. While I have not located the desired file have
located one saved and modified under similar circumstance but when opening it
it asks for "what program" when then opened only a few symbols appear no
text. Any help appreciated
--
George

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is why we recommend that you never open attachments directly but
instead save them to the hard drive before opening. No matter how many times
you save a file opened from an attachment, it is saved in a temporary folder
and deleted when you quit Word.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You should never open Word attachments directly from e-mail - however it
*may* be possible to recover your changes. See
http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm

George A. Yorks wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George A. Yorks

We started over again with new e-mail attachment saved it into ms word, made
changes and sent it out as an e-mail attachment using outlook express. Not
only did the message not get to the adresse (thinks that correct spelling)
but message can't be located in sent file. We feel as though we are snake
bitten.
--
George

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

But did you reattach the Word file from its new location or did you just
forward it on?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is why we recommend that you never open attachments directly but
instead save them to the hard drive before opening. No matter how many
times
you save a file opened from an attachment, it is saved in a temporary
folder
and deleted when you quit Word.

so
all may benefit.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Did you save it again before sending?

To be honest, with a history of the file not being received, I would not
have sent it as an email attachment instead of Send To - Mail recipient. But
that's just me.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is why we recommend that you never open attachments directly but
instead save them to the hard drive before opening. No matter how many
times
you save a file opened from an attachment, it is saved in a temporary
folder
and deleted when you quit Word.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Opening e-mail attachments, editing them and mailing them back can be
tricky. It's best to save the attachment first, open it in the appropriate
program (or Windows Explorer), make your changes, save it - and then you can
use the Send To - Mail recipient. And like I said, because there are known
issues with the (proper) attachment, I would send an email with an

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George A. Yorks

Appreciate this information. I now feel comfortable with handling e-mail
attachments but is this last situation when I sent the e-mail there is no
record of it being sent, in the outbox it's non-existant. Is there no way to
locate a sent message that is in limbo somehere
--
George

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Since I've jumped in to this conversation at mid-stream, which e-mail
program do you normally use?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George A. Yorks

This entire situation is getting more bizzare as the day goes on. I maintain
three e-mail addresses on my system and found the e-mail message in question
in the draft file of one of my alternate addresses. My wife worked and sent
the document in question from our main address but,for some unknown reason,
never got sent but ended as I've said in a draft file of secondary address.
Have you ever heard of this or am I quilty of loosing my mind....
--
George