Fred Goldman

Default Footnotes and style

I posted this earlier, but no one understood what I meant. I am going to try
to be clearer this time.

When I apply my own style to a footnote (let's call it style1) it will show
up in the Styles and Formatting box, however when I click to select all text
using style1 it says "Select all: not currently being used" when it is in
fact clearly being used.
This is happening with par. and char. styles. I am using Word XP.
I would greatly appreciate any help.

Klaus Linke

Hi Fred,

I can't see a situation where it would make sense to apply a different =
style than the "footnote" style to footnotes.

Wouldn't it be better to modify the footnote style if you don't like the =
look of it?
You can base the footnote style on the existing style, then both will =
look the same.

You can also replace any style with a different style using "Edit =
Replace".

Regards,
Klaus

"Fred Goldman" wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer. I would like to select everything=20
that is this style and tag it with an existing style.
=20
"Jezebel" wrote:
=20
'Being used' seems to apply only to the body of the document. What =

do you=20
need help with?
=20
=20
=20
"Fred Goldman" wrote in =

message=20
I posted this earlier, but no one understood what I meant. I am =

going to=20
try
to be clearer this time.

When I apply my own style to a footnote (let's call it style1) it =

will=20
show
up in the Styles and Formatting box, however when I click to =

select all=20
text
using style1 it says "Select all: not currently being used" when =

it is in
fact clearly being used.
This is happening with par. and char. styles. I am using Word XP.
I would greatly appreciate any help.
=20

=20
=20

Joseph McGuire

Apart from the puzzling message, what happens? Can you apply another style
to the selected text? I seem to be able to do so in Word 2000 and 2003, but
without the message.

"Jezebel" wrote:

'Being used' seems to apply only to the body of the document. What do

you
need help with?

"Fred Goldman" wrote in message
I posted this earlier, but no one understood what I meant. I am going

try
to be clearer this time.

When I apply my own style to a footnote (let's call it style1) it will
show
up in the Styles and Formatting box, however when I click to select

all
text
using style1 it says "Select all: not currently being used" when it is

in
fact clearly being used.
This is happening with par. and char. styles. I am using Word XP.
I would greatly appreciate any help.

Fred Goldman

Hi Klaus,
Firstly, the "Footnote Text" does not show up in the styles and formatting
box even when I hold shift and press "All Styles".
Secondly, I am talking about character and paragraph styles.
As far as edit/replace I need to do this to 10 styles in 20 different
documents so that can be really time consuming. (It's really my fault because
I tried the Master Doc feature and it messed up all my styles).
Thanks so much for the response if you have any further help I would really
appreciate it.

"Jezebel" wrote:

'Being used' seems to apply only to the body of the document. What do you
need help with?

"Fred Goldman" wrote in message
I posted this earlier, but no one understood what I meant. I am going to
try
to be clearer this time.

When I apply my own style to a footnote (let's call it style1) it will
show
up in the Styles and Formatting box, however when I click to select all
text
using style1 it says "Select all: not currently being used" when it is in
fact clearly being used.
This is happening with par. and char. styles. I am using Word XP.
I would greatly appreciate any help.

Fred Goldman

I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear.
It's not a message. When you right click a style in the styles and
formatting box, it gives you an option to select all the text using that
style.
However styles I use it footnotes it just says Style Currently Not Being
Used so I can't select the text using that style. I can definitelt apply
another style, but I either have to select the text manually or use the
edit/replace box.
Please let me know if you can duplicate the problem.
Thanks a bunch.

"Jezebel" wrote:

'Being used' seems to apply only to the body of the document. What do

you
need help with?

"Fred Goldman" wrote in message
I posted this earlier, but no one understood what I meant. I am going

try
to be clearer this time.

When I apply my own style to a footnote (let's call it style1) it will
show
up in the Styles and Formatting box, however when I click to select

all
text
using style1 it says "Select all: not currently being used" when it is

in
fact clearly being used.
This is happening with par. and char. styles. I am using Word XP.
I would greatly appreciate any help.

Daiya Mitchell

You have totally misunderstood Klaus' post, which is suggesting a different
way to arrive at your goal. Klaus knows you are talking about character and
paragraph styles. You can set Find & Replace to find and replace all text in
a certain style by clicking More and using the Format drop-down menu, and
formatting the empty boxes.

If you have 10 styles in 20 different documents, the Styles & Formatting
palette trick isn't going to save you very much time over Find and Replace
anyhow, and F&R offers exactly the same functionality, it's just slightly
more trouble to set up. In fact, F&R might work out quicker--Find and
Replace you can record and save as a macro and redo in a different document,
or set to run in different documents. Since the Formatting Palette is not
working for you, perhaps you should try a different way?

And I don't see how 10 styles in 20 documents relates to the fact that you
can't get the Formatting Palette to show Footnote Text.

I also can't see how it makes sense to apply a different style than Footnote
Text to footnotes, instead of Modifying the Footnote Text style.

I do wonder whether your problem might be due to lingering corruption from
using the Master Doc feature.

DM

"Fred Goldman" wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer. I would like to select everything
that is this style and tag it with an existing style.

Fred Goldman

Hi Daiya,
Thanks for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it!
You must be right, I have misunderstood her post, but let me answer you.
The master doc. added a number to each one of my styles.
For example Drop Cap1, Drop Cap2, etc. for each document. The first doc. a 1
and so one, so a macro won't help.
If I don't see the Footnote Text style in the box how do I modify it?
I need all the styles to have the exact same name for two reasons.
1) They are all attached to one template.
2) I would like to afterwards import it to InDesign as one document.
I would very much appreciate any further assistance.

"Fred Goldman" wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer. I would like to select everything
that is this style and tag it with an existing style.

Daiya Mitchell

I don't think you understood my post either. Please try this on a COPY of
your document:

Edit | Replace. Click on More. Leave both boxes empty. With the cursor in
the Find box, click on the Format drop down menu in the F&R dialog, select
Style, and find one of the styles you want to remove. That Style dialog
should list all styles alphabetically.

With the cursor in the Replace box, click on the Format drop down menu in
the F&R dialog, select Style, and find the style you want to change that
style to. Click Replace All.

Post back on how that goes.

Other aspects:

I'm not sure that it wouldn't be easier to put the doc into InDesign and
then fix it, I feel that you might have to do so anyhow.

Re the Master Doc effects:
You might want to send your documents through the corrupt doc techniques,
just in case.
The first way to check for a corrupt document is to
copy the entire thing, *excluding* the last paragraph mark, into a new
document. That last paragraph mark holds a lot of information which can get
corrupted, and copying the text into a document with a fresh one keeps your
formatting, but can fix some glitches.

A paragraph mark is a . Click on on the standard toolbar to show
nonprinting characters, including paragraph marks.

See this link for further info:

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

DM

"Fred Goldman" wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer. I would like to select everything
that is this style and tag it with an existing style.

Fred Goldman

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.
I know exactly what you meand by edit/replace. What I was saying is that to
edit/replace each doc and 20 styles is a lot longer than two clickson the
style and formatting box. The idea of the macro is impossible because in each
doc the style was changed to a different name by the master doc.

In any case this is not the only reason I would like to select all of one
style from the footnotes. Some people have been giving me rtf's and in the
styles and formatting box it lists all the formatting. In the footnotes I
can't select all of a certain formatting. I understand I can use find/replace
but it certainly is a lot longer.

I did what you said about copying to new doc to avoid further corruption. It
didn't help the styles but hopefully it will avoid any possible further
corruption. As long as you brought it up, is there a reason why instead of
seeing a paragraph at the end of my doc symbol I see a empy square box?

"Fred Goldman" wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer. I would like to select everything
that is this style and tag it with an existing style.

Daiya Mitchell

That's not a good sign. The empty square box is in place of the paragraph
mark, not some accidentally typed character? And if you show nonprinting
characters, there isn't a paragraph mark? I think you should try the other
corrupt doc fixes as well, from the link I gave.

I did what you said about copying to new doc to avoid further corruption. It
didn't help the styles but hopefully it will avoid any possible further
corruption. As long as you brought it up, is there a reason why instead of
seeing a paragraph at the end of my doc symbol I see a empy square box?

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

DM

Fred Goldman

I might also note add it doesn't matter if I start a doc from Normal.dot
template or my own. I figured out how to show the Footnote Text style and
when I right click on it I have the same results even when it's being used so
it doesn't really matter what style I use.

Are you able to select by style in footnotes? I didn't realize this is a
isolated problem only with me.

I did a search for my Normal.dot template and I got my Normal.dot template
and another template that's file name is: "~$Normal.dot. when I opened it had
two lines of thin empty square boxes a page break and then another line of
empty square boxes with some other wierd letters. I don't know if this means
anything at all.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

That's not a good sign. The empty square box is in place of the paragraph
mark, not some accidentally typed character? And if you show nonprinting
characters, there isn't a paragraph mark? I think you should try the other
corrupt doc fixes as well, from the link I gave.

I did what you said about copying to new doc to avoid further corruption. It
didn't help the styles but hopefully it will avoid any possible further
corruption. As long as you brought it up, is there a reason why instead of
seeing a paragraph at the end of my doc symbol I see a empy square box?

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

DM

Fred Goldman

Ok, I was able to fix all the empty boxes, now I'm back to square one that I
can't select all of one style in footnotes. Are you able to, or is this in
general something that Word can't do.
Thank you.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

That's not a good sign. The empty square box is in place of the paragraph
mark, not some accidentally typed character? And if you show nonprinting
characters, there isn't a paragraph mark? I think you should try the other
corrupt doc fixes as well, from the link I gave.

I did what you said about copying to new doc to avoid further corruption. It
didn't help the styles but hopefully it will avoid any possible further
corruption. As long as you brought it up, is there a reason why instead of
seeing a paragraph at the end of my doc symbol I see a empy square box?

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

DM

You could delete the style. This would revert the footnotes to Normal style,
which would help (provided you haven't used Normal style elsewhere in the
docs) insofar as it would make the F&R the same in all the docs. To delete a
user-defined style, go to the Format | Style dialog, select "User defined
styles," click on the appropriate style, and press delete. To get to the
Format | Style dialog in Word 2002/2003, add a toolbar button or menu entry
for FormatStyle (All Commands in Tools | Customize).

Alternatively, you can use the Find dialog to select all the text in a given
style. In the Find dialog, select the style in the "Find what" box, click
More, then check the box for "Highlight all items found in: Footnotes."

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

That's not a good sign. The empty square box is in place of the

paragraph
mark, not some accidentally typed character? And if you show nonprinting
characters, there isn't a paragraph mark? I think you should try the

other
corrupt doc fixes as well, from the link I gave.

I did what you said about copying to new doc to avoid further

corruption. It
didn't help the styles but hopefully it will avoid any possible

further
corruption. As long as you brought it up, is there a reason why

instead of
seeing a paragraph at the end of my doc symbol I see a empy square

box?

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

DM

Daiya Mitchell

I don't use the Formatting Palette, plus I'm on a Mac, so I really don't
know. And I think my Formatting Palette may be set up differently than
yours, though it seems fairly similar from what I can tell.

But I just tested it. Footnote Text shows up in my style list. However,
when I click Select All, nothing happens.

Note that a Word doc is arranged in different "text stories", or layers, and
the main text is kept in a different layer than the footnote text. It is
entirely possible, as Suzanne mentioned long ago, that the "Select All"
function only sees the main text layer.

Now I'm confused. Is your problem that Footnote Text doesn't show up in the
Style list, or do you now see Footnote Text in the list but you can't select
all the text in footnote text style?

Anyhow, I think you should follow Suzanne's suggestion of deleting the style
to revert the footnotes. I also think it would be faster to just use Find
and Replace than to continue trying to sort this out. You may want to test
whether it works in a different document, that was never part of the master
doc.

DM

On 2/23/05 3:05 PM, "Fred Goldman" wrote:

Ok, I was able to fix all the empty boxes, now I'm back to square one that I
can't select all of one style in footnotes. Are you able to, or is this in
general something that Word can't do.
Thank you.

Klaus Linke

Hi Fred,=20

I haven't time to read through the whole thread now...

But if you choose "Custom..." at the bottom of the "Styles and =
Formatting pane", can you add a check mark to "Footnote text"?

You then still can't "Select all instances", but at least you can edit =
the style.

Regards,
Klaus